Chapter 9- Thinking Out Loud

Arizona's POV

Who knew I even had it in me to flirt? I thought I was too old for that shit. Looks like I still got it though! Would that even be considered flirting?

I wanted to grab a snack before heading off to another surgery with Link in an hour. I went to the cafeteria and waited in line to grab an apple and granola bar. 

As I went to grab an apple another hand went to grab at the same time, I looked over and it was Amelia. "Oh, I'm sorry Dr. Shepherd." I say. She looks at me with a pout. "I--I mean, Amelia." I stutter and pull my hand away. She makes me so nervous and I have no idea why.

"How are you? You busy?" Amelia asks. "Oh, I just needed to grab a snack before my surgery with Link." I say. "Ahh, what OR are you in? Maybe I'll pop in the gallery." Amelia asks. 

"We're in OR 3, if you're free. But it's nothing special, so no worries if you're busy!" I say genuinely. "I am only working on Derek's case, so my schedule is fairly open." She says.

"Well uh--hopefully I'll catch you up there then!" I stutter out. "I've gotta run!" I walk away before I can hear her answer.

I am scrubbing into my surgery with Link and we were just joking around. He noticed someone up in the gallery before me while scrubbing. "Hey, Robbins. Who is that up in the gallery, do you know?" Link asks. "Oh that's Dr. Shepherd. Amelia Shepherd, she's here working on a case with Derek. She's also a neurosurgeon." I say, surprised she was actually here watching the surgery.

I finish scrubbing in after Link and go into the OR and look up. Amelia gives me a wave and a smile. I feel myself blushing and smile with my eyes and give her a nod because I can't really wave when I am all gowned up. 

The surgery went smoothly and I noticed Amelia was gone. She must have gotten busy with her brother. I go to the attendings' lounge and grab my things to go home. 

As I am walking out the doors I spot Link catching up to Amelia and try to pick up my pace so I don't hear them, but I heard Link say, "Oh Amelia, any chance you want to grab a drink with me tonight?"

I start to pick up my pace even more and stare at my phone to not make it obvious.

_____________________________

Amelia's POV

"Oh Amelia, any chance you want to grab a drink with me tonight?" Link asks me. Then I catch a glimpse of Arizona pick up her pace and staring too intently at her phone. God, I think she heard that.

"Link, you seem great and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I'm not interested." I state. "I kind of have my eyes on someone else." I finish and catch myself staring longingly at the back of Arizona. I think Link caught on and he mentioned, "I understand." He says, "oh and Amelia, take care of her. She has been through a lot this past year alone and I want to see her get her happy ending." He finishes. 

I smile and nod then go to catch up with Arizona. I think she was a little startled to see me when I linked my arm through hers.

"Oh sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!" I chuckle. I saw her wipe her eyes and sniffle a bit, but I think she was trying to make sure I didn't. Did I do something wrong, what was she crying about?

"Hey, you okay?" I asked. "Oh, I'm fine. No worries." She said, clearly lying. I pull her over to a nearby bench to sit down. "Look, I know we barely know each other. But you're a terrible liar." I say, earning a small laugh from her.

"Okay, I don't tell many people this, but today is my brother Tim's birthday. I was so caught up with work and surgery, that I forgot until I looked at my phone. And I never forget, and I forgot to get his favorite soda and snack from the convenience store this morning like I do every year. So I guess I am just upset at myself that I forgot." She finishes with tears in her eyes. I instinctively reach over and grab her hand and she doesn't pull away.