chapter twenty seven | mission

Off break! Sorry if there's any typos. Hope you enjoy this chapter <3 !
————————————————————————

"Just stay, you can go home in the morning." Sasuke insisted, tightly gripping his girlfriends wrist.

The girl struggling in his hold giggled as she tried to loosen his grip.

"You said that yesterday." Hinata stated matter of factly. "My apartment will start getting lonely if I keep staying here every night." She reasoned.

"You'll be moving into the compound soon, so you're better off forgetting about your place now anyway."

"Sasuke, I said no." Hinata said a little more sternly. She scowled at the thought of having to move into the Hyuuga compound.

He let go and sulked, displeased with his girlfriends harsh tone.

Hinata sighed and inwardly scolded herself for what she was about to say. "You can spend the night at my apartment if you want to." She suggested. She cursed at herself for being so soft on the Uchiha.

"Deal." Sasuke said, springing up and heading towards his room to grab his things.

Hinata shook her head at him and stood by the door as she waited for him to pack.

Sasuke left his room with a duffel bag, one way too full for one nights worth of clothes.

"This is going to be longer than a one night thing isn't it?" Hinata asked exhausted.

"You know me so well." Sasuke said. They walked out the front door and he closed it behind them.

———————————

"Shikamaru, are you almost done?" Temari asked in an annoyed tone. "You promised we'd go out after you finished here." She sighed.

"We will Tem, hold on a minute. I'm already done with everything, I just have to meet with the hokage for a second. He said it was urgent business." Shikamaru explained.

"Then I'll come too." Temari huffed.

"Suit yourself." Shikamaru shrugged. They walked towards the office and Shikamaru quietly opened the door.

As Shikamaru and Temari walked through the door, their eyes slightly widened.

In the room was, to put it simply, everyone.

A thought flashed through Shikamaru's mind, and he inwardly whined.

A few other people seemed to have come to the same conclusion, as they also wore reluctant expressions.

"Before you say anything" Kakashi started. "I've already talked with the higher ups and we all came to the unanimous decision that this would be the best course of action." He reasoned.

"So we don't even get a say?" Sasuke asked lowly.

"Will you hear me out first?" Kakashi retorted. The room fell silent and he took that as consent.

"The mission is not that hard considering we'll have you guys on the job. There's thought to be a radical group that's opposing the formation of the Shinobi Union. The group has gathered supporters from all over, mainly people who claim to have never felt at home in their villages. They're planning an organized attack on the five major villages, all at the same time. We need you guys to split up and take out the groups before they can attack the people." Kakashi told the group.

"Why can't a different village handle this?" Sakura asked. She didn't mean it in a negative way, she was genuinely curious as to why the hidden leaf had to take on this request.

"We were very active in the war. A lot of villages look up to us, and see Naruto as a symbol of strength. The other kages were very eager to send our best shinobi out on the front lines. They specially asked for Naruto and Sasuke and I chose the rest of you based on your skills and capabilities. Please accept this mission and don't let me down." Kakashi said seriously.

"This is so not fair." Shikamaru said under his breath. Of course he was going to go, seeing as he was hand picked by the hokage, but he wasn't too happy about going with such a troublesome group.

Everyone knew they had no choice but to listen to Kakashi's plea.

"If everyone agrees, I'll divide you into groups now."

Tracker, Hand to Hand, and Special Skill

Kiba, Choji, and Ino will stay here in the leaf.

Neji and Tenten will go to the hidden mist.

Shino, Lee, and Sakura will go to the village hidden by rocks.

Hinata and Shikamaru will go to the sand.

Sasuke and Naruto will go to the cloud village.

The teams nodded in understanding.

"Temari, do you want to accompany everyone on the mission? I'll explain everything to Gaara if you want me to." Kakashi asked.

Temari agreed, despite the subtle glare she got from Shikamaru in protest. She was added to his and Hinata's group.

"Great. Now that everything's settled, you leave in two days. Pack your things and get ready to move out." Kakashi said.

Everyone left the room one by one and flooded into the hallway of the hokage tower.

"Just when we planned to spend time together." Sasuke grunted, holding Hinata's hand.

"We spend time together all the time. You mean just when you planned to invade my home and stay until you had no choice but to leave." Hinata rolled her eyes.

"Same thing." Sasuke said with a wide grin.

Shikamaru and Temari walked up to the couple and tapped Hinata on the shoulder. "We should meet up before the mission for a short briefing." Temari suggested to her.

"Sure of course. I'll meet up with you guys tomorrow morning in front of the academy." Hinata said.

The other two agreed and despite the heavy weight of a mission looming, they still decided to go on their intended date.

While walking out of the hokage tower, Sasuke was stopped by Naruto. He said he wanted to talk about the mission details and try to come up with a plan before they got to the cloud.

Sasuke complained and pointed out the fact that Naruto was never one to follow and stick with a plan to begin with.

Naruto blushed as Sasuke's blunt but true remark. After he badgered the Uchiha for a bit, Sasuke ultimately agreed to meet with Naruto at a later time to discuss their course of action.

"He's so annoying." Sasuke told Hinata as he ran his fingers through his hair. Hinata giggled at him.

"I hope you know I'm still coming over. We'll just have to cut the sleepover short." He said.