chapter fourteen | uchiha estate

"Are you sure you couldn't have made it here on your own?" Hinata asked, roughly dropping Sasuke on his living room couch.

"Hey, take it easy. I'm injured, remember?" Sasuke said smirking.

Hinata looked down. She did feel slightly guilty, even if she was provoked.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to step on your foot so hard." She said just above a whisper.

Sasuke felt bad. He wasn't really in as much pain as he pretended to be. He just wanted to pull at the Hyuuga's heartstrings a little.

Sasuke got up, limping towards the kitchen. Hinata looked at him incredulously.

"You're not even that hurt." She said, feeling deceived. "I can't believe I helped you all the way here. People were staring at us!" She added, bringing her hands to her face to cover the blush she had developed.

So many people had turned their heads to get a peek at the odd couple. Old ladies sniggered at them as they walked by. And to make it worse, Sasuke denied every offer of help from anyone that wasn't Hinata. He wouldn't let her escape the peering eyes.

"So what? It's not their business anyway." Sasuke said, coming back with two cups of tea. He took a seat beside Hinata on the couch. She glared at him, trying to relay her distress, but he didn't seem to care.

"Have some tea. I went through the trouble of making it." He said.

Hinata pouted. "I'm sure it's bland, just like it's owner." She said giggling. Sasuke rolled his eyes.

"Put your foot up here." Hinata instructed Sasuke. He put his teacup down and did as he was told. He propped his foot atop Hinata's leg. She used her medical ninjutsu on it.

"A jack of all trades?" Sasuke asked, brow raised.

"I try my best." Hinata hummed. She wasn't usually praised or acknowledged for a lot of the  things she did. It was always supposed to be 'expected' of her.

Hinata picked up her tea and took a sip. It was good, very good. She smiled into her cup. Sasuke took one look at her and smirked. He knew she enjoyed the beverage.

"I guess you can't call me bland now." He said pridefully. Hinata coughed. She conjured up a straight face and looked Sasuke dead in the eyes.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She said, feigning ignorance. She continued sipping her tea, ignoring the Uchiha's occasional glances at her.

————————

The sun shined through the window blinds, emitting a orange glow. It was around 6pm and Hinata was in no mood to head home yet.

She was enjoying her time in the Uchiha estate. Sasuke has given her a tour around the large grounds. He showed her the garden, the small shopping center, the district hall, and the private shrine. It was beautiful. You could tell the area held much history.

It was unfortunate that Sasuke was the only one left to pass it on.

She didn't want to leave him there alone. Hinata was very much aware that Sasuke could take of himself, but that didn't cure her worry. She couldn't imagine how hard it must be for someone to stay in an environment like this by themselves. To be constantly surrounded by their tragic past while having no one to voice their thoughts and feelings to.

Hinata got upset every time she thought about it.

"I'm going to make dinner." She said, standing up to rummage through Sasuke's kitchen.

"You're not going home?" Sasuke asked confused.

"No, not yet." Hinata said peaking her head from the kitchen to look at Sasuke as she spoke. "I can't believe you have nothing but tomato's in here." She said, judging the man. "We're going shopping."

————————

"What do you want to eat?" Hinata asked, basket in hand. She was in the produce aisle, mentally going through all the dishes she has made in the past.

"Pasta." Sasuke answered after a slight pause.

Hinata shook her head. "You need to broaden your food palate. I'm pretty sure only eating meals with tomato's gives you a serious lack of deficiency in other areas." She lectured the man.

"I don't care." Sasuke said yawning.

Hinata picked up a few vegetables for a side salad while mumbling something incoherently. Sasuke managed to pick up the 'only want what's best for him' part of the jumbled mess. He grinned. He grabbed a couple of whole tomatoes when Hinata had her back turned and slipped them in the basket.

The shopping was brief. Hinata and Sasuke stood on line, waiting for an empty lane.

"Next!" Hinata went to the register. Reading the number on the sign above the lane, she froze. It was her.

Sasuke grimaced. Hinata quickly took her items out of the basket and placed them on the checkout counter.

The cashier snarled at Hinata, giving her the biggest frown she could muster. Hinata flinched at the sound, not wanting to deal with the hostile stranger.

Sasuke grew more annoyed as the time passed. "Just scan our items so we can go." He said rudely.

Hinata tugged his sleeve, earning his attention. She gave him a pleading look. He sighed and complied with her silent plea. He'd be quiet and let her handle it.

The clerk bagged the items. Sasuke took them and waited for Hinata to pay the girl. Hinata handed her the money and waited for her change.

The cashier took out the change and was about to give it to Hinata. She stopped right before placing it in the Hyuuga's hand.

"I see you jump from man to man quick." The girl commented slyly. She dropped the money in Hinata's open palm and looked at her smugly.

"And I see someone is too ignorant to realize that male and females can be friends without being romantically involved." Hinata pocketed her money. "Plus, you're nowhere near Sasuke's type." She added.

"Oh, and I suppose you are?" The angry cashier asked.

"I don't know, maybe I am." Hinata replied, linking her arms with Sasuke and swiftly walking out the market doors.