chapter seven | return

Hinata was tossing and turning. Tomorrow would be the seventh day since Naruto set out for his mission. He'd be coming back soon.

She let out a deep sigh. Getting up, making sure not to wake her sleeping friends, she headed for the door.

A late night stroll would do her some good. It was nearly 3 am and most of the village was asleep. She allowed her feet take her, walking without any particular destination.

Hinata felt liberated, finally free from the stuffy air and thoughts inside. First she stopped by her apartment. She didn't go inside. She just looked at from down below. She thought about how she'd be moving out of there soon. When she took over the clan she'd have to stay with the main branch.

Then she stopped by the Hyuuga compound. Again, she didn't go inside. There were so many times Hinata had considered giving up her position as heir and frankly, she didn't know if she made the right decision by keeping it. She definitely didn't want to pass the responsibility on to Hanabi and she wasn't sure if Neji was keen on being head either. With that in mind she sucked it up and hardened her resolve to run the clan.

It wasn't that she didn't want to be clan head, it's just that she wasn't sure she was demanding enough for the job. She was an entirely different person from her father. It really seemed like she had earned everyone's respect and they were all aware that she would be taking over. But she didn't know if they'd keep the same attitude once she was officially instated.

Hinata sighed and kept walking. Her next visit was to the Uchiha district. The air as she passed by felt stagnant and cold. She knew about the massacre that wiped out the prominent clan. She also knew about the real truth behind the incident. She frowned. The tale of the Itachi Uchiha saddened her deeply. If she was in Sasuke's position she wouldn't  know what to do.

She thought about if Neji or Hanabi was in Itachi's situation. All the built up rage and frustration Sasuke must have. The lies he was told, the secrets being kept from him, his misplaced anger.

She was grateful Sasuke had a friend like Naruto to stand by him. She was happy that Naruto never gave up on him, even when she and her fellow peers urged him to.

A wave of guilt washed over her. She decided in that moment that she'd try her best to make it up to Sasuke.

She looked up at the clear sky, taking in the full moon. It was nearly spring and the weather had been exceptionally well thus far.

She looked back down and walked back in the direction of Ino's apartment.

——————-

"Tenten you really need to work on your sleeping habits." Ino said, a hint of annoyance in her voice. Hinata stirred in her sleep.

"I wouldn't have to kick if you didn't snore so loudly." Tenten defended. Temari watched the two bicker.

Hinata sat up. Agitated, she picked up the pillow beneath her and dealt a blow to both girls. "Can you two please stop talking?" She asked groggily while putting the pillow back down and attempting to fall asleep again.

"You're so cranky." Ino said rubbing her head. "It's time to wake up anyways, the foods almost ready." She added.

Hinata bolted up. The mention of food awoken her with a start and she was suddenly very eager to get out of bed. After the walk yesterday she was completely famished but she didn't want to make a snack and accidentally wake the others. She just held out and went to sleep before the hunger got too bad.