chapter thirteen | academy day

As well as helping the hokage with odd jobs, Hinata also volunteered at the academy. Being as she was a Hyuuga, and a distinguished one at that, she often came by to teach the kids about kekkei genkai's and bloodline traits. She was one of the children's favorites. They always nagged the permanent staff by asking when she was coming.

Today, she had brought a special guest.

The lone survivor of his clan and sole possessor of the Sharingan, Sasuke Uchiha. It was the last bit of his community service. After this lesson he didn't have to be at the beck and call of the hokage anymore.

Sasuke braced himself. He had to conjure up the patience to deal with these young children. He usually avoided kids at any cost. For him to have to have to teach a whole class of them.. he shivered at the thought.

Sasuke stood in front of the closed classroom door, waiting for Hinata to fetch him.

She opened the door slowly. She took his hand and led him behind the teachers desk. He hadn't realized it before, but this was the exact same classroom he was taught in during his academy days. He found it ironic and slightly amusing. Standing in the room gave him a wave of nostalgia. The only thing missing was Iruka-sensei's indignant yelling and Naruto's foolish antics.

"Okay class, today we have a very important person in our midst. I want you to all be on your best behavior and listen to your new instructor, okay?" Hinata told the class. They all replied with a simultaneous 'Yes, Hinata-sensei!'

"Great! Sasuke-sensei, you have the floor." Hinata said, giggling at the Uchiha's new title. She stepped from behind the desk and moved to a window seat in the back of the class.

One of the boys in the front row raised his hand. Sasuke stared at him, not knowing exactly what to do. "Go ahead Furihata, ask your question." Hinata urged from her seat.

Furihata nodded and lowered his hand. "Sasuke-sensei, what bloodline trait do you have?" He asked.

"The Sharingan." Sasuke answered. Hinata coughed. He looked up at her, only to be met with a glare. Sasuke sighed. He really didn't want to do this.

"What's the Sharingan?" Another student asked.

"The Sharingan is a visual prowess technique that is unique to only the Uchiha clan. It gives you the ability to copy others movements, see chakra, and cast powerful genjutsu. It has many different forms and uses." Sasuke further explained.

"Can we see it?" Furihata asked sheepishly. Sasuke inwardly groaned.

He activated the Sharingan. Hinata allowed the children to move closer for a better look. They examined his eyes, in awe of the crimson red color the orbs turned.

"That's so cool!" One kid exclaimed. "I want the Sharingan too!" Another chimed in. "I think the byakugan is prettier." Someone else interjected. "What if someone mixed the Sharingan and Byakugan together, wouldn't they be like, super powerful?" One of the students commented.

"How come I don't see anyone else with the Sharingan?" A small boy asked. He was standing the closest to Sasuke. He looked up at him inquisitively and had little sparkles in his eyes. Sasuke bent down and gave him a small, almost unnoticeable smile. He knew the question was asked out of pure curiosity.

"My clan isn't around anymore. I'm the only one left." Sasuke said, poking the boy in the stomach teasingly. He returned to his position upright.

"That's sad sensei, way too sad." A girl said clinging to him. She had big, round doe eyes, and looked like she was on the verge of tears.

"Ok everyone, I think it's time you all returned to your seats." Hinata said, trying to save Sasuke from the nosy kids.

"Sensei, sensei!" Another girl called out, raising her hand from her seat. Sasuke signaled for her to speak.

"Are you single?" She asked shyly. The other girls in the class yelled at her. They shouted things like 'I was gonna ask that?' and 'pick me instead sensei!'

The boys in the class shook their heads at them, disappointed in their shameless behavior.

Hinata got up and returned to her spot behind the desk. The class instantly settled down. Sasuke raised a brow. He wondered what kind of authority Hinata had to get the children so under control.

"That's enough playing around now. Take out your books. I'll give you a rundown of the Sharingan and it's abilities in detail." Hinata said. It was Sasuke's turn to go to the back of the class. He made sure he sat far away from any of the pestering children. He looked out the window, watching the clouds drift by. There were some kids playing on the schools makeshift field. Other kids were being taught to use their ninja tools with the outdoor training post.

He didn't know how long he had been watching them before he was pulled back to reality. He was snapped out of his daze by high pitched voices.

"That concludes today's lesson." Hinata said, erasing her writing from the blackboard behind her.

"But Hinata-sensei, we don't want you to go!" One kid called out. The disappointment was thick and very much apparent. The children dreaded saying goodbye to their favorite teacher.

Hinata looked at Sasuke. He got the hint and made his way down to the desk.

"Don't worry, I'll be back." Hinata said gently. "Be good to your other teachers while I'm gone." She advised them. They quieted down a bit.

"Now everyone, what do we say to our special guest to show our gratitude?" She asked the class.

"Thank you Sasuke-sensei!" They all said in unison. The show of gratitude was followed by a few comments. 'I hope we see you again' and 'I can't believe you're not staying longer' were the popular ones. A couple of the boys even took interest in the Sharingan, envious they couldn't possess one themselves.

Sasuke walked out of the room with his head held high. Although he didn't like the children very much he was pleased that they took a liking to him. Hinata soon followed after him. She always struggled to leave the kids that sought after her so much.

"I see you're Mr. popular. It took the students three lessons before they got used to the way my Byakugan looked." Hinata huffed.

"What can I say?" Sasuke said confidently. "You can't blame the poor children for having taste." He shrugged.

Hinata stood stuck in place for a moment. She thought over Sasuke's words.

Angrily, she stomped over to Sasuke. Catching up to him, she stopped him in his tracks.

She got close to him, so close that their chest were almost touching.

Then she stomped on his foot with force strong enough to break a floorboard. She walked away triumphantly, leaving an injured and heated Uchiha.