chapter four | work

The girls had stayed up practically all night. They caught up on everything that's happened while they couldn't meet up. Hinata also told them about the Sasuke encounter, leaving out exactly what he asked her to buy.

They listened intently, taking in and occasionally laughing at Hinata's story.

"It seems to me like Sasuke Uchiha doesn't intimidate you one bit." Temari said chuckling.

"He's not as bad as before." Hinata said with a shrug.

————————

Ino was aggravated. It was 10 am on a weekday and she had to wake up to open the flower shop. She was fairly used to it by now, having help run the shop all her life, but all she wanted this week was a break. She finally got some time with her friends and she had to spend half her day watching the shop until her mom came to take over.

"Don't worry about it Ino. The hokage called me in to do some filing. I should be back by the time your shift is done." Hinata informed the blonde.

"I think I'll tag along with you Hinata." Temari said, a light blush dusting across her cheeks.

"Yeah, we all know why you wanna go Temari, it's obvious that-" Ino started but was cut off by a hand covering her mouth. Tenten shushed her friend, trying to save Temari a little embarrassment.

Temari blushed even darker. Everyone knew that Shikamaru was constantly in and out of the hokage's office. Although he wasn't an official advisor yet, he always got called on to give his input on the villages affairs.

Hinata laughed, pulling Temari along with her she exited the doors of the charming flower shop.

They walked in comfortable silence towards the biggest tower in the Leaf.

————————

"Honestly lord sixth, I feel like you could've easily came up with a solution on your own." Shikamaru said as he grabbed the door handle.

"Oh I know, but it's much less of a hassle to have you think for me." Kakashi, the sixth hokage, replied. You could see the outline of a grin through his mask.

Shikamaru rolled his eyes. He opened the door and on his way out bumped into something. He felt something hard collide with his chest. He assumed it was someone's head.

A muffled groan could be heard coming from the person he collided with. Shikamaru looked down, not at all surprised by who it was.

"You know, you really should stop daydreaming while walking." He said teasingly.

"Save it. My head hurts." Hinata said rubbing her forehead. "I don't know what kind of work out you've been doing lately but please share your secrets, I'd love to use this in battle." She added.

"Shut up. I never get a break around here. Kakashi's errands are basically a training regimen." Shikamaru said frowning, an expression not too far off from his everyday look.

"Come work with Gaara for a day, you'll be begging to be lord sixth's golfer again." Temari said, coming up from behind Hinata.

"I'll pass, no need to ruin a good thing." Shikamaru chuckled. Temari raised a brow playfully.

"Okay, but just remember gaining experience is never a bad thing. Plus I'll be around to show you the ropes." Temari stated.

As the two continued on with their banter Hinata checked the time. She had 3 hours to finish helping before Ino was off. Knowing Kakashi, the work was probably a lot.

"I'll just leave you two alone." Hinata said giggling. She got the papers that needed to be filed out of the hokages office and headed for the conference room.

She sat down in a chair towards the back of the room. She started going through the papers for the day. Some were identification papers, some were mission briefings, and some were reports from other villages.

Hinata separated the files into three main sections. A few of them required a signature from a Jonin, a title she had recently gained.

Temari joined Hinata soon after.

"Sorry about that." She said sheepishly. She got caught up with talking to Shikamaru.

"It's fine. You don't get to see him nearly as much as you used to." Hinata said, understanding her friend. She was thrilled Temari was getting time to spend with the Nara, she deserved to be happy.

"I wish you'd just go ahead and date him already." Hinata giggled. She talked as she continued to put each document in its respective pile.

"About that.." Temari said, rubbing her neck shyly. "He just asked me out on a date. Is it okay if I take a day off to go out with him? I know how much you all have been looking forward to this." She asked.

"Are you kidding?! I'd be more upset if you didn't go!" Hinata answered rather loudly. "I can't wait to tell the others!" She said, evidently excited.

Hinata found a burst of motivation. She swept through half the pile in an hour. Pausing, she stopped to take a break.

"How's Gaara?" She asked. Gaara and Hinata have always been quite close. After meeting and getting acquainted through Naruto, the two found they had a bit in common. She had always considered Gaara to be like a best friend to her, someone she could trust. It was unfortunate she couldn't see him as much as she wanted to. He and Temari were always swamped with work.

"He's fine. Well as fine as a Kage can be. You know how stressful it is." Hinata nodded. "He asked me about you the other day actually." Temari shrugged. She loved that her brother and best friend got along so well. She wouldn't want it any other way.

"I might just have to request an audience with the kazekage. Wonder what hysterics I should put on for them to let me in." Hinata said grinning.

"Not the infamous Hyuuga hysterics, anything but that." Temari said, faking distraught. Hinata was known amongst her friends for being able to get out of any given situation. If she had to fight, so be it, but if she had to act, she'd pull out all the stops. She got out of many difficult missions unscathed because of this. It also helped her get out of her fathers diplomatic discussions.

As she was looking through the last of the pile, she picked up a mission briefing.

Mission: Reconnaissance, Possible Extermination, and Damage Control

Mission Rank: A

Ninja assigned: Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno

Description: There has been suspicious activity going on in the outpost stationed on the border between Konoha & Sunagakure. Some of the ninja stationed there have gone missing, one confirmed dead. Ninja that know the layout of both villages are required.

Hinata sighed. She put the mission briefing into the right pile. Temari and her finished up the last of the papers and delivered them to the hokages office.

"We should get something to bring back on the way." Temari suggested. Hinata smiled in agreement.

They went to a family restaurant and ordered what they thought Ino and Tenten would want. They'd been friends for years, thus getting to know a lot about one another. Memorizing an order or two was nothing.

They still had an hour left before Ino was done.

"We're back!" Hinata shouted while walking through the door to the flower shop. "And we bought food."