chapter seventeen | meeting

Hinata was dreading today. She paced back and forth in her living room, trying to come up with some excuse to get out of this.

Today, she would have her first official meeting about her inheritance and position as future head. Needless to say she was freaking out.

She knew this day was coming for a while now but knowing didn't help calm her nerves at all. She understood why people said ignorance was bliss.

Going to meetings with and about her father was completely different than the current situation. Now, he was going to be on the other side of the table, assessing her capabilities.

Hinata had come a long way. She could talk freely with people she was comfortable with. She could even speak up in a group discussion if the timing was appropriate. However, sitting around a table with elders and higher ups from her clan as they badgered her with questions was too much pressure.

She definitely couldn't handle it alone. Hinata asked Neji to go with her a number of times, but he explained to her time and time again that he already accepted a mission and wouldn't be back until the next morning.

Hinata still had a few more hours before it was time to meet at the compound. She decided that being cooped up in her apartment wasn't good for her anxiety. She thought maybe a walk around the village would subdue her nerves.

————————

Hinata had been through majority of the village. She stopped at a stand to get a snack and leaned against the building next to it. She happily ate her sweets.

The sun was shining a great deal that day. Hinata took it as a good omen. The beams felt warm on her face and she silently basked in the light. Her eyes were closed. She stood like that for a while, content, until something blocked the suns rays. She opened one eye, and then the other, staring at the obstacle.

"Morning." The obstacle said simply.

"Good morning." Hinata replied with small smile. She shifted over a bit, giving the person room to stand beside her.

He looked normal, for the most part. His clothes were worn in it's usual fashion and his face held no discerning emotion, but his hair was disheveled, and his shoes were on the verge of tearing. They were covered in mud and dust.

"You were out training again." Hinata voiced her assumptions. Sasuke nodded.

"You should've told me. Maybe if I collapsed of exhaustion, my father wouldn't force me into this stupid thing." Hinata mumbled to herself.

"What was that?" Sasuke asked. He heard her the first time, but he felt that if he asked her again she'd elaborate an little more. He was right. She told him all about the issues she was having with the main branch and about how reluctant she was to go to.

Sasuke listened. When she was done explaining, he suggested something. "I can go with you, if you want." He said, just above a whisper. It was so unlike Sasuke, to offer his company. He didn't know why he did it, but it felt like the natural thing to do.

Hinata beamed. "I'd love that! Thank you so much!" She said, beyond appreciative. Without thinking, she tightly hugged Sasuke. Happiness clouded her boundaries. He hugged back, lighter and delayed, but it still counted.

Hinata let go first. She grabbed Sasuke's hand and led her to the direction of her apartment. "Let's hang out until it's time." She said. Sasuke went along with no complainants.

————————-

"Which one do you think is better, blue or black?" Hinata asked from her bedroom. It was almost time for her to go to the Hyuuga compound. Right now, she was trying to decide on what color kimono to wear. She was asking Sasuke for his opinion.

"Blue." He replied from the living room.

"Blue it is." Hinata said, taking her blue kimono from her wardrobe. It was navy, with purple and white flowers scattered across it. She paired them with wooden sandals and a purple hair pin.

Hinata informed Sasuke that he could just wait outside the meeting the hall until they were done. He refused, insisting to be there in case Hinata slipped up, but she refused his refusal. She wanted to make a point, to prove she could do this without assistance. If worse came to worse she could always run out and accept the consequences later. Sasuke understood, telling her he'd listen in on every bit they were saying. She giggled, feeling better now that she had someone to be there for her.

She told Sasuke to wear his usual attire. He did as he was told.

At 8 pm they started their trek to the main branch. The meeting didn't start until another half hour, but Hinata thought it would be nice to drop in on her sister before she went in.

————————

Hinata found Hanabi by the outdoor training area. All respected clans had their own private grounds to train, Uchiha's included.

She slowly crept behind the girl. She opened her arms and quickly enveloped the girl in a hug. Hanabi was taken by surprise. She was working on her bare taijustsu and didn't have her Byakugan activated at the time. Startled, she activated her eyes to identify who dared to touch her. When she realized who it was, her whole demeanor changed. Her shoulders loosened up and she deactivated her Byakugan. She turned around and hugged Hinata back.

"I missed you." Hanabi said quietly. Hinata hadn't exactly made it her 'mission' to return to return to the main family. She was thoroughly enjoying her life outside the peering eyes of her clan members. She had however, regretted not spending more time with her little sister.

"I'm sorry. I missed you too." Hinata said, hugging her sister tighter. Hanabi looked over Hinata's shoulder. She noticed Sasuke standing a little far away from the two, watching silently.

"What's he doing here?" Hanabi asked curious. She didn't mean much by it, it was just odd seeing him on their grounds.

"Oh right." Hinata had forgotten that Sasuke was still behind her. "This is Sasuke Uchiha. He's my close friend." Hinata introduced. She linked her arm in his and pulled him closer to Hanabi.

Hanabi looked at the scene, intrigued. She held out her hand for him to shake. "I'm Hanabi Hyuuga." Sasuke took her hand and shook it firmly.

Hanabi directed her attention back to Hinata. "Have you seen father yet?" She asked cautiously. Any mention of Hiashi was like walking on eggshells for those two.

"Not yet. I suppose it's time I do that" Hinata said, tone laced with discomfort. She turned, and headed towards the place where she knew her father would be.

Sasuke was about to follow her, but was stopped by a hand tightly gripping his wrist.

Hanabi looked at him pleadingly. "Take care of her, okay?" She urged. Sasuke nodded, he slipped out of her grip and quickly caught up to Hinata.