chapter ten | sakura haruno

Sakura could guess what Hinata had called her out for.

She was currently waiting at the same cafe that Naruto and Hinata had went to a few weeks prior.

She ordered tea but didn't dare drink it. She felt too guilty.

In all honesty, Sakura knew from the beginning how Naruto felt about her. Even if he was dating the Hyuuga, she was fully aware that his feelings for her were far too strong to give up so easily. She was banking on that.

It wasn't too long after the war that Sakura started to see Naruto in a different light. His voice had gotten deeper since he first returned to the village, and he had grown a significant amount. His chest was bigger and he had gained a little muscle. He had become so much more mature since the academy days. He gained battle experience and immeasurable admiration. She had come to notice so many new things.

This was how Hinata had always seen him.

Sakura felt stupid and blind. She hadn't seen what an amazing guy Naruto was before. She started to distance herself from him. He was in a relationship and she had to respect that.

It was going well enough. Naruto was still overprotective of her despite his being taken, and Sakura had capitalized off of that. She knew he had a soft spot for her.

Hinata was her friend and she didn't want to ruin her relationship. However, Naruto was someone who she grew deeply infatuated with.

She went to Sasuke for advice.

That was the day she saw the two on a date. Annoyed, Sakura clung to Sasuke in an attempt to get the blondes attention. She even stood directly in his line of sight. And you could bet she got the reaction she wanted.

She felt almost triumphant for a moment. But then she saw the hurt in Hinata's eyes. She witnessed as the well-natured girl went off on her boyfriend and stormed out of the cafe.

Sakura instantly loathed herself.

She felt even worse after seeing Naruto's condition after the ordeal. She wanted to set things straight and try to get the two back together, but Naruto had his own agenda.

It worked in her favor. She could get Naruto back without feeling like a homewrecker.

She tried her hardest to convince herself so. Sakura couldn't shake the feeling she'd done something terribly wrong. She would use this time to apologize to Hinata and tell her the truth.

———————

After somehow managing to get home after her training session with Sasuke, Hinata had gained a little insight. She decided it was time to sit down and have a long talk with Sakura.

She wasn't nearly as torn up about the whole thing now compared to the beginning, but she still needed some closure. There was still a possibility Naruto would come to his senses and get back with the Hyuuga, but if that didn't happen she didn't want things to be awkward between her and Sakura.

She asked to meet her at the cafe in the center of town the day after she had been with Sasuke.

It was time to let it go.

Hinata entered the relatively quiet cafe. She made her way to the pink blob of hair she noticed upon arrival. She cautiously approached the girl, tapping her shoulder to let her know she was there. Sakura looked up and gave her a small smile, gesturing to the seat across from her. Hinata took it.

The waitress came over and asked Hinata what she wanted. She ordered a coffee, one of those hard to spell ones that needed a bunch of alterations to taste good. The waitress nodded and went back to the counter.

It was silent for a few minutes. The two just stared down at their laps, not exactly knowing what to say.

"Listen Hinata" Sakura said breaking the silence. The said girl looked up at her in acknowledgment. "I don't want to ruin our friendship over something like this." She took a deep breath. "If I'm being honest, I have to admit I like Naruto. He's kind, sweet, and endearing. I regret not realizing sooner." She confessed.

Hinata sighed. Sakura was basically dissing her relationship with the blonde. She was hoping this wouldn't happen but had prepared for the worst. After the boys had went out Neji visited again and they had a long talk. He mentioned that Naruto would be spending more time with Sakura, and if they started dating Hinata should be happy for them.

Of course she'd be happy for them. All she wanted was for everyone to be happy. Neji had said that if Naruto ended up with Sakura then he just wasn't meant for her. He said she deserved someone who only thought of her. He was right.

Hinata's order had arrived.

"I'm sorry for stepping into your relationship. I know how much you liked him." Sakura said bowing. She scratched her face sheepishly. "To tell you the truth, I saw you and Naruto at the cafe that day. The whole incident was entirely my fault." She admitted guiltily.

Hinata looked out the window. She recalled the events of that day. She rolled her eyes. Sakura took note of it and sunk back in her seat.

Hinata was a bit annoyed with the girl across from her but "You didn't force him to do anything. He's accountable for his own actions." She said. They both played a part in breaking the young Hyuuga's heart.

"I forgive you Sakura, but I really don't want to be around you right now." Hinata gulped down her coffee. She left the money for her drink on the table and bowed as she got up. This time, she didn't storm angrily out of the coffee shop. She graciously exited and went about her way.

It was hard, getting closure.

Sakura had deliberately hurt her. Naruto had lied to her out of pity.

She just kept getting taken advantage of.