Chapter 10

P.o.v Patrick

When I get back to our conjoined hotel room, I tell the guys everything the doctor told me, and they listen intently and closely, asking questions every now and then.

When I'm finished, Pete says, "It'll work, Patrick. It usually does, doesn't it?" I shrug in return, "I don't really know... But what I do know is that there is something I need to do, and I don't think I can do it alone."

They all lean in closer and Joe pats my back, "Anything," I nod, and breath deeply for a moment, clenching my hands together in my lap.

"I want to shave my head." I say in one quick breath to get the pain of the words over with. Pete furrows his brow, "Why?" "Because it's a side effect of the chemo, and I want to be in control of one last thing before my cancer controls everything, ok?" I reply defensively, standing up.

"Whatever you want to do." Andy says and gives me a small smile, joining me as he stands up. Pete and Joe follow his example, and soon we are out of the door, following directions on my phone to the nearest barber shop.

________________________

"Ok, what do you want?" The kind old man asks as he sits me down, getting his supplies ready. I sigh and take off my fedora- this is harder than I anticipated...

"Just- just shave it all off. Everything." My voice unexpectedly quivers, but I force a smile and the man nods and shrugs, lifting up a razor.

"Uh, sir? After him, do me too, please." Pete speaks up, sitting down in the chair next to me. I shake my head firmly, "No-" "Me too," Andy interrupts enthusiastically, sitting next to Pete. "And me last." Joe adds proudly, sitting down in the chair on the end.

I feel tears building up- never breaking eye contact with Pete as the man chuckles from behind me, "Alrighty, I'll get you all done soon, then." He says cheerfully, and as the cold razor connects with the back of my head I know it has begun.

I don't mean just the haircut- the war.

I hope you guys enjoyed this update<3