Chapter 20

P.o.v Andy

Everything freezes- time, my body, my blood. It's silent for the next few moments that follow, before Pete despairingly says that he needs to go and then Joe just gets up and leaves without an explanation.

I get it- they need to deal with the news by themselves.

"I'll give you some time," Dr. Abrams says to me when both Joe and Pete are gone. Once the door closes and it is just me and Patrick together, Patrick suddenly begins crying- had he been awake the whole time?

I don't say anything- to be honest, I don't quite know what I can say to make things better. I know that there are no words to cure his torment.

Patrick grabs my hand that I had retracted when I realized he was awake, and squeezes hard. He's shaking, and my arm begins trembling from the vibrations of his frail hand.

He suddenly slams his fist down onto the bed, throwing his head back with clenched teeth and closed eyes as if he's just been stabbed.

I cannot help the tears that follow, and after a few minutes without him calming down, I climb onto the bed and pull him into a hug. It's in this moment I realize that I love this man.

No, not in love, but the kind of love that is indescribable, unconditional. The kind of love that would make me do anything to make his sickness go away.

"Andy, I don't want to die, I'm so scared. Please don't let me die, please don't-" He sobs into my chest, and in response I hold him tighter, as if this small action can save him from the inevitable.

After what seems like hours, Patrick's shaking begins to slow, his cries fade, and his breathing calms to even breaths.

Everything is frozen again.

I close my eyes in pure exhaustion and defeat, and even though I know he's now asleep, I whisper, "I'm scared too,"