Chapter 25

P.o.v Pete

Patrick is declared brain dead an hour later at the hospital. 

The doctors say there is nothing they can do for him, that he's merely a body now. He has no more thoughts, has no more emotions, feels no more pain. He's just laying motionless on his bed, tubes plastered all over his sickly, pale body. 

"Whenever you're ready." The doctor says sympathetically in a thick accent, gently patting my back as he leaves the room. I'm the one who chooses when to pull the plug, to take him off life support; to kill him. 

The rest of the guys all had their time alone to say goodbye to him before me, and now it's my turn. 

I feel more tears fall from my eyes, and I wipe them away to try to see more clearly as I walk up to the side of his bed. I grab Patrick's cold hand, and my chest constricts. I take a shuddering breath, "I'm sorry we went on this trip, Patrick. I'm sorry you're here in this shitty hospital in Poland instead of home. I wish we could've went home together." I whisper, tears now uncontrollably escaping my eyes. I drop my head next to his on the pillow, trying to steady my breathing.

"I'll take care of Andy and Joe if you'll watch over me, wherever you are, wherever you'll be." I say after a moment of silence, tightening my grip on his hand. "You won't feel your pain anymore, but I will. I don't know if this pain will ever leave, but I'll be ok." I can feel myself begin to shake. "I love you, Patrick." I whisper as my voice quivers, leaning up to kiss his forehead. 

I sit down in the chair next to his bed and close my eyes, "Ok!" I yell weakly, rubbing my hands down my face.

The doctor comes back into the room, followed by everyone else who comes to surround his bed solemnly. Brendon comes up behind me and puts his hands on my shoulders, "I love you, man." He says, just loud enough for me to hear. 

The doctor works slowly, unhooking each tube and line that is connected to him until he is bare, looking like he is simply sleeping, his eyes peacefully closed. I grind my teeth together, doing all that I can to not break down completely. I'll do that when I get home, when I'm alone and can't hurt anyone else but myself.

We sit in silence for the next few minutes, watching his chest slowly rise and fall. 

And then his chest rises and falls one last time, and I know he's gone.