Chapter 21

P.o.v Pete

A few days later, Patrick has surgery to remove the tube from his chest so he can be more comfortable, and is now free from ever seeing the inside of a hospital again. Well, hopefully.

The doctor gave him pain medication for the next several months, and with that we just went back to the hotel where we decided to rent a room.

Patrick took the news pretty well for someone who was told he is a dead man walking. But I think he was expecting it, in some sort of twisted way.

Even though Patrick has accepted his fate, it doesn't make it any easier for us, though. Knowing that our best friend will be leaving in a matter of months scares the shit out of me.

Over the past week since his surgery, Patrick has been pretty quiet, basically keeping to himself. None of us try to push him to do anything, or force him to talk to us. This is his life, and he can live the rest of it how he wants to.

___________________________

I'm sitting on my bed in the hotel room, quietly scrolling through Instagram when someone knocks on the door, "Come in." I say, not looking up from my phone.

But I do when the person doesn't say anything. I look up and see Patrick standing in the door way, leaning against it with a smirk on his face, "What-" I begin to say, but then a familiar face pops up behind him.

"No fucking way!" I yell, standing up and walking to give Brendon a hug. "Hey, man!" He says happily, though in his eyes I see the sadness he's trying to conceal.

I look behind him and see that Soren, David, and Lou from New Politics are standing in the hallway talking to Andy and Joe.

"What's going on?" I ask Patrick, turning to face him with a smile on my face.

"Well, I couldn't really sleep last night, so instead of sleeping I decided to book a flight to Spain, we leave tomorrow. And from there we're going to go all around Europe to end in Poland. There, we're going to take a flight back to Chicago. Might as well go out with a bang, right? Go out with a bang, having fun, surrounded by your best friends." Patrick explains, and in that moment, I see no despair in his eyes.

Only happiness, and excitement for his final adventure.