Chapter 16

P.o.v Patrick

I spend the hours following the message reading everyone's comments/reactions, but after a while I can't take anymore and shut off my phone.

I climb off my bed and plop down on the couch next to Elisa, who doesn't even glance up from her laptop.

"Hey, you ok?" I ask, nudging her with my elbow. "Fine." She responds flatly, scrolling through her Facebook feed. I want to press her further, but then again I don't want to make her more mad if she already is.

But of course, being a guy, I make a stupid decision, "Are you mad at me?" She closes her laptop with more force than needed and stands up abruptly, "Nope." And then she is gone, walking to the bathroom where she closes the door- surprisingly without slamming it.

I sigh and lean back on the couch, not knowing what to do considering I am now the only one who is awake and currently not mad at their spouse.

I end up falling asleep there before Elisa ever even comes out of the bathroom.

___________________________

A month and week of chemo later, we're standing backstage getting ready to go out for our first show since I was diagnosed.

Adrenaline pulses through every inch of me, but one thought remains in the back of my head- Elisa.

She's been distant and weird around me recently, and she has barely even touched or looked at me.

I don't stop thinking about her throughout the entire show, and can't help but feel guilty afterwards for not giving the fans my best.

On top of the guilt, I don't think I have ever been so tired. My body physically feels as if it'll collapse at any moment, and a headache violently haunts me all the way back to the tour bus.

I know what I have to do- I need to talk to Elisa, to understand what's bothering her.

"Elisa?" I ask once I walk through the tour bus door, the guys following in my wake. There is no response, only a sad silence filling the air.

I walk towards the back of the bus and check the bathroom, before walking back and almost missing the note laying on my bunk.

I turn and lift up the note carefully before Elisa's wedding band and engagement ring slip off the piece of paper and fall to the ground next to my foot. I lean down and pick them up, grasping them tightly in my shaking hand before reading what it says:

Patrick, I know this is random, but I can't do this anymore. The hospital visits, the sickness- I can't handle it anymore, I can't do it. I can't keep pretending to be this happy wife for you. Things were starting to go downhill for me even before you got diagnosed, so I think your cancer happened for the best- it made me realize even more that I don't want to be with you. I don't want to spend the rest of my life being held down by you and your disease, and I hope you understand that. I wish you the best.
-- Elisa

Ok, just so everyone knows- I do not think Elisa would ever do this in real life, nor do I dislike Elisa!! I think she is amazing and I have only portrayed her this way for the sake of the story, sorry haha<3