happy ending / p.m.

your eyes scanned the crowded room as you searched for a familiar pair of brown ones, unsure of where you should be or what you should even be doing. different people brushed past you in expensive outfits, similar to your own. the atmostphere was loud and lively, but you couldn't help but feel timid and shy.

having came from such an influential family in naples, people often thought that someone like you would be used to the spotlight. but having an older brother that took over your family's affairs made it easy to hide in the shadows, especially after your parents died. you only stepped up to the plate when your city depended on it, a pawn in his game. 

you knew how to play your part very well, and tonight was no exception as you made your way around the room, greeting your brother's constituents and eyeing every interaction that took place around you. 

the two of you were in florence, attending an event hosted by lorenzo de medici. your brother, mario, refused to tell you what it was for, but you knew deep down that it was probably another ploy to gain more support for votes in the council. there was no use getting in between lorenzo and whatever he wanted. it's always been that way.

you felt suffocated by the crowd of people that had gathered in the medici's dining area, forcing you to excuse yourself into an empty room nearby. only after you composed yourself did you take notice of the art pieces and relics that were scattered around. they were a surprise, considering that the room didn't look the same way it did in your memory from previous years. caught up in studying each piece, you didn't realize that someone else had entered the room. 

"like what you see?" the voice questioned, gesturing to the painting that you had been staring at.

"i think they're all beautif- oh." 

turning around, you blushed profusely as your eyes met the familiar set of brown ones that you had been looking for all night. you found yourself slightly embarassed at how well acquainted you had made yourself inside a room in the house that wasn't even yours. 

"signori medici, my apologies."

"no worries, signorina orsini," he smiled. "i assure you that my father created this room to be looked at, its' works pondered upon. you're doing him a favor."

"in that case, i'm honored to be of service," you replied, looking down and running your hands across the front of your dress so he wouldn't see the blush on your cheeks.

"i know it's been a while, y/n. even then, i don't think friends use the formalities," he joked, making his way over to you and pulling you into a hug.

"indeed it has, piero. when was the last time?"

"i believe it was venice, six months ago."

"ah, how could i forget?" you mused, pulling away in time to see his face suddenly turn a light shade of pink as the two of you recalled the memory.

"don't you dare bring it up," he commanded, attempting to be serious while you eyed him teasingly.

"the one and only, piero de medici, stumbling off his horse infront of the foscari family."

"a terrible first impression, i must admit."

"to be fair, you only embarassed yourself infront of noble a family, not all of venice. it could've been worse."

"was that supposed to make me feel better?" he groaned.

"now that i think about it, not really," you winked.  

he looked down, biting back a laugh while you flipped your hair in a joking attempt of showing him sass. 

"so tell me, what matter brings us here to florence this evening?" you asked.