birthdays / l.p.

age four

it was a coincidence, all of it. 

you didn't plan to break your wrist the same way that louis didn't plan on spraining his ankle. especially on your birthday. 

but something clicked that day. 

maybe it was the fact that the two of you shared a room in the emergency room, or the fact that both of you happened to be turning four on the same day. it might have even been the pity cupcakes that the nurses got the both of you upon finding out that it was your birthdays. 

it was like life knew that you needed someone to celebrate with, someone who would be there every year. 

age twelve

pure chaos was the only phrase that could possibly be used to describe the situation. you and louis had made joint birthdays your thing for the past eight years, but the differences in your personalities were starting to become more and more evident. 

he was really into the skater theme and you really wanted a stranger things themed birthday. 

it was dysfunctional, to say the least. 

you also learned that you and louis knew how to hold grudges really well. 

"say cheese!" liz called out. 

you and louis were stood at the table behind your respective cakes, his with ramps made out of fondant and miniature skateboards, and yours with christmas lights and little fondant eggos.

louis only pouted in response to his mother's words, earning him a scolding look. 

"but i'm mad at y/n," he grumbled.

"i'm mad at you too, jerk," you shot back.

shoving him with the side of your shoulder, he pushed you back with a glare.

"are you two serious right now?" your mom sighed. "atleast pretend that you like each other for the sake of the pictures."

you only groaned in response before stepping closer to louis as he reluctantly slung his arm around your shoulders. 

"okay, now blow out the candles!" liz cheered. 

and while the two of you slowly leaned down to put out the small flames, his arm remained around you. 

something about the small action couldn't help but make you feel warm inside.

age eighteen

growing up had a harsh way of trying to force people into growing apart. but luckily for you and your boyfriend, that was never a problem, regardless of where the two of you were in the world. 

this year, louis was spending his birthday in london for filming while you were in los angeles for school. it was a tough situation to manage, but the two of you had gotten the hang of it. 

"so what did you do today?" you questioned, leaning back in your bed as you held the phone close to your ear.

"went out for a drink with the boys and spent the rest of the day waiting for you to call me," he teased. 

you only scoffed in feigned annoyance, which earned you a laugh from the other end of the call. 

"i'm being serious! what else was i supposed to do on our first birthday without each other?"

"fair enough," you chuckled. 

"look, i've got to leave set in a little bit to head home, but i sent something to your front door."

"aw, you didn't have to," you pouted. 

rolling out of bed you made your way through the small apartment before stopping right behind your door. placing your hand on the cold handle, you slowly pulled the door open just to be greeted by a familiar face.

"surprise."

without hesitation, you jumped into his arms as the two of you laughed like idiots in the middle of your apartment complex's hallway. 

"happy birthday, love."

"happy birthday, lou."

***

a/n: y'all i'm so sorry this was so short but it's been a while and i obviously had to update for louis' birthday. our boy is the big eighteen and i'm so excited for him and i'm so excited to see what he works on this year!!! 

on another note, in the past month i finished my junior year, started my summer college courses, and i had an ex come back. has retrograde been fucking anyone else up too? bc i can't handle this.

i'll be leaving for LA next week and my schedule is just back to back shit until the start of july, so i'm sorry in advance for more slow updates but i promise i'll get back on it asap.

much love. - lis <3