chapter 14 | the seven celestial sentiments

A sheet of paper sit begrudgingly in your hands, grasping onto it tightly

A sheet of paper sit begrudgingly in your hands, grasping onto it tightly. Your eyes narrow down at the text sprawled across the top of the light blue sheet, memories of signing up for the collaboration resurfacing at the taunting words.

'Gwangju & Chosun University Collabrative Contest.'

You grimace at reading the words out in your mind, blowing out air as your head drifts to the boy beside of you. He taps a finger on his cheek, staring thoughtfully at the autumn trees lied out prettily in front of him. The tangerine-haired boy says nothing, but understands and notices your grimace.

"Hoseok," you mutter. "What in the actual hell am I gonna do for this contest?"

Hoseok finally glances at you, leaning back into the bench that is rooted into the campus. The ground is polished, yet cracked. He sighs, looking back forward.

"I thought you'd be worried more about Meg, y'know," he muses, his tone confusing you.

"Are you angry with me?" you say, putting the flier down closer to your lap. Your ripped skinny jeans hug your legs comfortably, the chill of the temperature at first tearing through the material angrily, but now, you've grown adjusted to it. You find yourself hugging your body just after you spoke, flannel moving along with your motion. Hoseok shakes his head with a chuckle.

"Angry with you? Oh, no," he says, bringing a hand up to his face. His hair is stilled, not much wind in the air today. His dark eyelashes flutter as he blinks, yet again pondering for a moment before looking up to you. "Despite what you may think, I do not care as much as Yoongi relating to human affairs."

Your face scrunches, feeling a tinge of anger. "What? If you don't care about Meg, why did you bother to come with us last night and help?"

"I never said I didn't care about her," he says blankly, eyebrows furrowing as you pick up on the littlest of a hiss behind his tone. Intimidated, you look to the side. 'Is he bipolar? He wasn't like this yesterday.'

For a brief moment, the question 'what would Yoongi do?' flashes in your train of thought. Reminded of the boy, your heart skips a beat and you shake your head. 'I have to be patient — and smart. There's a reason he sounds a little upset.'

Then it dawns on you.

You scoff, forgetting anything of the contest for a moment and thinking of your auburn-haired best friend. You don't even look at Hoseok. "You do care about 'human affairs,' obviously."

Silence overtakes Hoseok, his words hitting you like a ton of bricks. He responds with light malice in his tone.

  "You're right," he utters, leaning his head onto his tanned hand. His elbow rests against his knee, a dip in his jeans from the pressure. "Let's just say I have a history of people thinking I'm too 'unearthly' to care about humans — that I shouldn't, because I'm the sun, and I serve a greater purpose than to love a mortal."