5.6

"Thinking about why you think so much."
- 'Everybody Here is a Cloud,' by Cloud Cult

Your mind was still on the fact that Killua was hit with something before. Maybe it didn't blow him up, but what if it took away from his stamina? You tried to focus on what the guy was saying, expelling any other thoughts.

The guy began talking about how they were going to gain the cards to clear the game. He said they were going to focus on stealing the cards from other players, which was when you decided you didn't really feel like helping this guy. It didn't sit right with you morally. 

The group started asking who wanted to join and discussed the perks of joining them. However, Gon wasn't easily swayed. "I'm sorry Killua, but I'm not joining these guys," and he walked off. 

You and Killua followed after him, you breathing out a sigh of relief. "Thank chowder-sticks that we didn't join them. The group gave me some creepy vibes," you weren't going to admit that you were scared of them because they were all guys (except for the girl who was there as well), saying that you didn't like it was enough.

"Yeah, me too. I just don't know why Gon is apologizing," Killua shrugged his shoulders, kicking a small rock across the cobblestone road. "Especially to me of all people."

"Don't put yourself down like that, you deserve apologies too y'know?" You bumped his shoulder, catching up to Gon, who had slowed to a walk. He seemed pretty angry, a stark difference from his happy-go-lucky attitude earlier. 

Killua walked behind him, you still holding hands with him, and looked at him, "So, what was that about?" He creased his eyebrows, waiting for an answer.

Gon stopped, took a breath (you could tell by the way his shoulders raised), and turned back around, a smile on his face again, "Sorry about that you guys! I just couldn't take it anymore!" He rubbed the back of his neck and turned his smile into the most innocent thing you've ever seen.

"I still don't get why you're apologizing," Killua remarked, shifting weight from one leg to the other. 

"Well, you'll be stuck with that spell for a while now," Gon said, his face falling a bit, "and I know that [y/n] will probably be anxious about it, 'cause that's just how she is."

You applauded how he knew you well, but you were going to try not to worry about it if Killua wasn't going to.

"Aw, please, I don't feel any different now and I don't think I will later, so don't worry about it, okay?" Killua's eyes looked over to you, "you too, alright? Worse comes to worse, I blow up and you'll have a cool story to tell."  

"Ah yes, my first boyfriend blowing up because he played an role-playing game," you tried to sound as sarcastic as possible, letting your shoulders drop. 

Gon laughed a little, before his smile was replaced with worry and his eyebrows scrunched up, "I know, but you're here to help me find my dad."

Killua was silent for a moment, before switching topics. "Wanna tell us why you were so angry earlier?" You felt his hand slightly tighten around yours, but everything else about him stayed the same. You wondered how he had amazing control of his face.

"They kept bad-mouthing Ging's game! Saying that it was all about killing and stealing," Gon talked about his dad, his fists clenching up next to his side. "I want to enjoy the game, like he told me to do, but finding out that players are killing each other to gain cards makes me scared."