Chapter 23: The Night Changes Everything (Part 1)

Noella's POV

"I have been waiting for you for almost an hour now. Where in the hell were you?" Juliette's voice came out in an annoying tone, as I neared her.

"I'm-I'm sorry for keeping y-you at wait." I said breathlessly as I practically ran to reach as fast as possible.

As I took in the much oxygen I needed into my lungs, she took a moment to notice me. Then a smirk appeared at her lips which made me eye confusingly at her.

"Never mind the explanation. Come on."

"What do you mean?"

"Oh stop acting so innocent. Slightly dishevelled hair, smudged lip gloss and blush on cheeks. I know you and Marks were screwing each other." She said, rolling her eyes at my oblivious acting.

"Um, w-we did not." I lied, although my cheeks slightly got stained crimson red as the scenes of our intimacy flashed in my mind.

"Of course. I totally believe you." Which caused me to chuckle. 

"So where to first? Dresses or shoes?" 

After a whole 2 hours of shopping for the gala which was organized by Eric's family, on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of their company, we were worn out. At least I was!

"My legs have given up! That was some serious shopping we did in a while, wasn't it?" Juliette exclaimed as we exited the last store, with 3 bags in either of our hands.

"Yeah. Can confidently say I used this month's salary very well." I stated, chuckling. She joined in nodding in agreement.

"So, Karla is returning today isn't she? Lucky her, whole three weeks of honeymoon. Damn!" She sighed, smiling.

"I know, right! I am so jealous of her. But I missed her, to be honest."

"Well, you had Spencer to keep you company." She smirked, which caused me to blush and roll my eyes at her.

"You want to grab some coffee? I could use some relaxation."

But before I could respond I felt a sudden nausea hit me. I rushed to the nearest bathroom and by entering a vacant stall, I emptied all the contents. I came out of the stall and rinsed my mouth. I didn't realise Juliette followed me to the bathroom too and her expression was a mix of confusion and worry.

"What happened?" She asked bewildered.

"I don't know, this sudden nausea out of nowhere hit me." I replied, frowning. "Here." She handed me a bottle of water, which I accepted gladly. "Are you okay now?" I gave her a weak smile, nodding.

She then ordered me to get home and rest, which I obeyed. 

*Next day, The Gala evening*

The smokey eye and red lip look complemented well with my high-low black cocktail dress, which had off shoulder sleeves. Juliette and I arrived at our destination.

The gala was held in this humongous hotel. From outside, it looked like some modern castle. Its tall glass infrastructure seemed to touch the beautiful star lit sky. I felt like some celeb who is about to attend an award function or met gala. 

I turned to Juliette, who was dressed in a beautiful wine red slit dress and had her dirty blonde hair styled in a simple yet elegant updo, but who also looked very much in distress. I placed my hand on her shoulder, which caused her to jump a bit. She gave me one of her weak smiles by turning to me.

“Are you okay? You look worried.” I stated concerningly.

“I am alright. Just anxious about attending  such a huge event. Never been at one, you know.”