Chapter 1: Mother

Noella's POV

"Hey, I'll be leaving work early today." I said to Violet, my only best friend. "Yeah, I know. I'll inform Ben. Don't worry." She said smiling.

 She, seriously, is the most amazing person anyone could ever have as a friend in their life. Although she's a year younger than me, she was so much wiser. 

"Thank you so much, Violet!" I chimed. "So, at what time will you be leaving?" she asked. "Oh, in a few." I stated and we continued taking coffee orders.

By 4pm, I waved goodbye to Violet and left the café to visit my mother's grave. Yep, you heard that right. It's been 3 years now since my mother passed away. I miss her so much, that I visit her grave almost every day. I still remember that horrendous night I had to witness.

*Flashback*

"It's late Ella, go home already." Ben said. He's like a father figure to me. Never known who my father was, but never felt like there was a father figure missing out from my life. All thanks to Ben.

 "Yes Ben, I was just helping Garrett cover his shift as he came up with some emergency. I was about to head home." I stated smiling.

 "Alright, get home safe. You know how the roads are at this time of the day. Do you want me to drop you?" See? This is what I was talking about.

 "No it's fine, really. I'll get home safe. I know some moves, you know?" I said by showing him moves of karate. "Besides Carrie will be waiting for you at home. You don't want to make the 'love of your life' mad at the day of your anniversary now, do you?" I laughed and he followed my lead. "Alright but-""get home safe, I know,  I know." I cut him off grinning. "Happy anniversary Ben! Bye." I wished him heading out of the café.

 It was chilly outside, as it was the month of December, but I was glad that I brought my jacket.

 As I was walking along the road, I felt someone following me. I turned around to see who it was, but there was no one. I ignored it, thinking my mind was playing tricks and I kept walking.

 I reached home and opened the gates. My mother and I lived in a small rented house, as we were not financially strong. My mother worked as a bartender and I worked part time at the café. We were going through tough situations, but the beautiful smile on my mother's lips never left its way. 

"Mom, I am home." I called by entering the house. The lights were out. That's strange, as my mother never switches them off till I arrive home from work. But I shrugged it off and turned them on.

 I went into the kitchen and to my horror all the utensils were in a disorder and there was my mother, lying on the floor, lifeless, clutching her stomach, in the pool of blood. I collapsed down besides my mother, tears rushing down my eyes. I was not able to register what I had just witnessed with my eyes at that moment. My brain went numb and I felt like my body had just stopped functioning. I saw a knife was stuck in her stomach.

 "MOM!!" I just screamed so loud unable to contain it within myself. After a few minutes later, which felt like hours, I frantically searched for my phone. Once I found it, I dialed 911 with my shaky hands. Unable to stand even for a moment after it, I felt like all the energy within me had been drained out and I fainted.

*Present*

Just by thinking about that night, makes my blood run cold. The police still haven't found the killer. If and only if I got to know who killed my mother, I'll just kill them with my own bare hands.

 I reached near my mother's grave and just by looking at it, tears made its way through my eyes. But I wiped them away. I crouched down and replaced the old flowers with a fresh one. I smiled. 

"Hey mom. I got admitted into UCLA. That's right; your Ella is finally a college student." I said smiling but tears were still flowing down my cheeks.

 "The college provided me with a scholarship. All thanks to you that you raised me into this hardworking and dedicated person I am today. I'll be moving in with Aunt Karla tomorrow. I might not be able to visit you every day. I apologize for it in advance. It really pains me to do such a thing. But I promise you to visit whenever I get time. Keep supporting me and be by my side as always." I sobbed.

 As a few minutes passed, I got up to go home and pack my belongings. Hopefully, it was going to be the start of a new life.