Chapter 20: Game Of Pretense

Noella's POV

"Hey, are you okay?" Juliette asked, probably noticing my tensed face. As it was Sunday and it was a day off from work for both of us, I asked her out for a stroll in the park, because I wanted to declutter my mind from all the worries that were going on inside my head. But it wasn't seeming to help a lot, as my wait for the police department's call was stuck in my mind in a constant loop. 

It's been 3 days and there was no answer from the authorities, making my performance of mundane jobs difficult. The day after Spencer and I filed a complaint, I decided to inform our friends about the situation. Juliette was the only one who already knew about my mother's death, but that didn't stop her from getting upset with the situation. Eric was equally taken aback with the situation. 

"Yeah. But I am still waiting for the call from the police. Hope they find the culprit soon." I clutched onto my phone tightly. These past three days, I have always kept my phone near me, just in case I get any call or message. But it has been nothing till the moment. 

"Everything will be fine. Just have faith. Hm?" Her voice was calm and assuring. I just nodded. "Anyways, how is Martha?" I asked, craving a change of topic. I needed a talk about anything but this! She seemed to understand it, as she started talking about everything and nothing, which actually took my mind off a little bit of the situation in my hands. After what felt like an hour, we finally decided to get going. 

As we were about to part ways, my phone rang, getting a reaction from me pronto. "Ms. Noella Garnet?" I heard a male voice as soon as I received the call. "Yes. Who is this?" I asked impatiently. "This is Virginia Police Department Ma'am. We have news for you. We have caught the murderer of your mother. If possible, could you come and sign some papers out and if you want to, take a look at the culprit?"

*****

The flight took off at it's exact time but that was my least concern. I just wanted to take a look at my mother's culprit and wanted to know as to why that person committed such an heinous act. I wanted my questions, which has been haunting me for 3 fucking years, to be answered. 

A frown has marked its territory on my forehead since I received the news. If possible my whole body would be on fire from all the anger that's been building up inside of me. A hand settled on my knee, making my shaking of legs, in stress, stabilize a little. I looked up and saw Spencer's worried face. I curtly nodded at him and closed my eyes.

Juliette and I arrived home as soon as we received the news. Karla was about to leave for work, but as soon as she heard about the news, she informed her employee about her leave for the day. Soon, we were joined by Eric and Spencer. 

I placed before them my decision to depart for Virginia alone, but Spencer was stubborn on accompanying me. Spencer and I had a little argument on this too, but everyone somehow convinced me that it'd be better if Spencer tagged along with me. Karla wanted to come with me too, but I just refused, as she just broke down as she heard the news and was not in a stage to travel. The tickets were arranged by Eric as soon as possible and around 2 pm, we left for the airport.

And that's how both of us ended up in a flight to Virginia. To be honest, I was secretly content that Spencer was here with me, as I felt like I needed someone with me at this critical time of mine, because facing everything alone seemed like a nightmare. A nightmare which I have already gone through once and I held no courage to experience it again.

*****

Unaware of how 5 hours flew by, we finally landed in Virginia. As we were about to exit the airport, suddenly I felt my feet drilled to the ground, getting a feeling I was not ready for this. I gripped onto the handle of my bag tightly and stood there staring into an empty space.