Chapter 18: Nothing's Sure Anymore

Noella's POV

It was 3 pm already and classes were still on the go. It's been only a few months since college started, and my perspective about it was already changing. I guess I was going to be late for work today. And I don't have time to grab a bite. FML

The class was finally concluded for the day and I rushed through the hallways to get out as fast as possible. I didn't have anyone to wait for as all of my friends were done for the day. Once outside, I hired a taxi and informed the driver about my destination. 

I relaxed a bit and took my phone to send a quick text to Karla that I would be home only by night. Venus apartments was a 45 minutes drive from my college. So I took out my earphones and started playing some music on my phone. 'Ah, paradise!' I thought to myself as I closed my eyes for a bit. 

The vehicle I was in came to a halt indicating I had arrived at my destination. I got out and paid the driver. I took a look at my watch and it was already past 4. LA traffic to be blamed for. Will nature ever let me get anywhere on time? 

I sighed and rang the bell of Peterson's house. I was greeted with a pleasant smile of Mrs.Peterson. 

"I am really sorry Ruby, but my classes ran late and got stuck in the traffic while commuting here." I apologized, genuinely. 

"No worries. I know how difficult college life can be." she replied calmly. I smiled. My stomach suddenly grumbled in hunger, making me embarrassed in front of Ruby. 

"Did you not have your lunch?" she enquired. I pursed my lips and slightly shook my head. In fact I haven't eaten anything since breakfast. 

"I have a container of instant noodles in the left drawer of the kitchen counter. You should have it." "No it's fine I-" I was cut off by her hands on my shoulders. "I insist. Have it." She smiled. I nodded and thanked her. 

"I'll get going then. Mia is asleep upstairs." She said by taking her bag from the coffee table which was placed in the center of the hall. "Okay." I smiled and she returned it. 

With Ruby gone, I sat on the couch and closed my eyes a bit. Been a busy day! My stomach grumbled again making me grunt lightly. I got up and took out the container from the drawer. I opened and poured some hot water in it. After a few minutes it was ready to eat. I was having my last bite, when Mia came down, rubbing her eyes. 

"Noe?" She saw me and came running towards me. I patted the seat next to me and she took it. "What are you eating?" She asked in her sweet voice. "I was having noodles." I said by throwing the container in the trash can and washing the fork with which I was having the noodles. I turned around and saw a frown on her face. 

"What happened?" I asked with a chuckle. "I don't like it." She said by sticking her tongue out. It made me laugh. I went towards her and sat down beside her. 

"What do you like then?" She placed her hand under her chin, pretending to think. "Ice cream! Can I have ice cream now?" She asked excitedly. 

"Well, I doubt your mother would allow you to have it." I replied with a grin. 

"Please? I want to have ice cream. Please Noe?" She gave me one of those puppy eyes. Why! 

"Fine let's ask your mother for permission, shall we?" After Mia, convincing Ruby (I still have no idea how she convinced her mother, because Mrs. Peterson can be very strict when it comes to ice-cream and Mia), she finally agreed to Mia having ice cream. Although Ruby informed me about the quantity and I assured her about it. Mia did her little dance of excitement. 

"I want to pee!" She declared in between her dance and went running towards the bathroom. "Don't run Mia." I called out and laughed a bit. 

I heard the doorbell ring and approached it. I was slightly surprised and happy at the same time when I opened the door and found out who it was.