Chapter 24: The Night Changes Everything (Part 2)

Spencer's POV

I looked around for Noella. She was talking and mingling with people. Perfect timing, I thought smiling. I went upstairs which led to the terrace. 

The view was so magnificent with the brightly lit lights of the city and humongous buildings which contrasted beautifully with the night sky.

I took a deep breath and reached out to my pocket, pulling out a box. I opened and looked at it adoringly. It was a promise ring I wanted to give to Noella. A promise that no matter what happens I will never leave her side. A promise that I will love her in her good and bad days. A promise that I will try my best to put up her beautiful smile on her lips everyday. I hope that this promise ring one day turns into a proposal ring, because I really want to stay in her life till my last breath.

I took out my phone and texted her to come upstairs. As I was waiting for her my phone rang. As soon as I took a look at the caller ID all my delight was replaced with fuming anger. I need to end this once and for all. I can't keep doing this. 

"How many times have I told you not to call me?" I sneered as I received the call. 

"How can I not, when you are taking so much time do the fucking job you have been given! I need this to be done today, right now. I don't need any of your stupid ass excuses anymore. I am done waiting. I think you want face your consequences as we agreed to." He snapped. 

"Listen to me once and for all you son of a bitch, because I won't repeat myself again. I am not getting my hands dirty for you, because I love Noella. Do whatever the fuck you want. I don't care. I am not killing her. Do you understand that? I. Am. Not. Killing. Noella." By saying that I hung up the phone. 

I closed my eyes and rubbed my forehead in frustration. But then I heard a familiar voice which made me want to just die right at that moment. "Spencer?" I slowly turned and was baffled to see the expression on her face. Her brows were furrowed and confusion was visible on her face. I nervously gulped before speaking up. 

"N-noella, hey you are h-here?" My hands got clammy. 

"What was that all about Spencer?" Her voice at the end of the sentence broke a bit. God I hate seeing her like this. And on top of that I am the one to make her feel this way. 

"N-noella it's not what it seems, I can explain." I can't. I did not have a single idea how to explain this mess to her. "Then explain. Explain to me why in the hell you were talking to someone about killing me!" She demanded as a tear slipped down her cheeks.

I was on the verge of breaking down by seeing her in that state. Tears were stinging in the back of my eyes. "Love, it's not what you think. I love you, Noella. I could never harm you." My voice pleaded to her.

I could never come to think of harming her even in my imagination now that I love her so much. Back then I did not know her and I was put in such a situation from which I could not back out. I had no other option than to do what that bastard ordered me.

"Then why don't you explain to me what just happened a moment ago? Tell me all that I heard was a lie. Tell me whatever is going through my mind right now is false." 

But I just stood there silently staring at the ground. What should I say? That it is the truth? That I did actually agree to the contract of killing her? Words just refused to escape my mouth. I was tongue tied. Instead tears started forming in my eyes and were threatening to fall. As she took in my silence, she turned to leave but I held her wrist in an attempt to stop her, but even I knew that it was of no use now. At that moment I realised that I lost her. I lost my Noella.