Chapter 28: Illumination

Noella's POV

Have you ever felt an unsettling feeling even though everything turned out to be alright? That's what I was feeling while I sat there beside my daughter's hospital bed. There was nothing serious which was to be taken into consideration about her health, which was a huge relief.

Juliette came into the room after a knock on the door announcing her presence. She took a seat beside me. I gave her a weak smile. 

"Are you good?" I just nodded in response. "I am sorry for not being aware about all of this before." Her voice came out as sad yet genuine. 

"It's okay. No one is to be blamed for this." She nodded in understanding.

There was nothing but beeping of monitors for a while. 

"Does he know about Esme?" Juliette broke the silence. I again nodded slowly. 

"Did you talk to him after the incidence?" 

"No." My voice was almost inaudible. She inhaled deeply before speaking. 

"I suggest that you talk to him once again. Just give this whole thing a second chance. You would never know if you never try." 

"I'll think about it." 

It wasn't like I wasn't ready to give it a second chance, it was just that I was afraid of what the future held. Twice is more than enough to get the experience.

I was forced to get something to eat by Karla once she arrived at the hospital. But instead of going to the hospital cafeteria, I decided to head out of the hospital to get some fresh air. 

I saw Spencer in the waiting room with his eyes closed and arms folded against his chest. I checked the time and it was almost 10:30 at night. I sighed and approached him. 

"Spencer?" I called out for him softly. He got up at once. 

"How's Esme? What did the doctor say?" He started questioning frantically. 

"She is good now. She will be discharged by tomorrow morning." I assured him. 

"That's a relief. Are you okay? Have you eaten yet?" He proceeded to ask. 

"No. I don't have an appetite." I curtly repiled. He nodded in understanding. 

"Um, you want to get out for a while?" I hesitated a bit. 

We shared a comfortable silence as we walked side by side. A calm breeze danced in the atmosphere making the environment peaceful. After a while I decided to break the silence. 

"Thank you for getting the cops today." 

"No problem." He smiled a bit. 

"If you would permit, I would like to meet Esme." He continued. It made me happy that he is willing to meet his daughter. 

"Of course you can." I smiled and he returned it. 

"I just wish the circumstances were different." I spoke. 

He halted in his tracks making me do the same. He took my hands in his and this time I didn't back out. His green eyes bore into my brown ones sadly. 

"I am so sorry for whatever happened. I wouldn't blame any of the situation but myself for all of this. I don't know what else to do other than begging for forgiveness from you." This time his eyes stared at the ground as a tear slipped his eye but still his hands held mine firmly. 

"I know I took so long to apologize but I was a coward. I was being a coward all these years. I didn't know how to approach you. I would understand if you hate me for all of this. And I don't even know whether I deserve your forgiveness after all of this. But just know that I am so very sorry for whatever happened. I wholeheartedly accept my mistakes Noella. I really do."