Ghastly

Anya was surprised to see Yuzuru already awake when she opened her eyes. He was sitting next to her and listing through the Jane Eyre book.

-Do you like it?

-It's too difficult English for me.

-Practice.

-Like you practice Japanese?

-Actually, I downloaded Duolingo again and started all over.....Ohayo....

Yuzuru's eyes lit up and he turned towards Anya, an excited smile all over his face.

-Ohayo Anya-chan!!

That was the happiest Anya saw Yuzuru be in the past days and she quickly made a mental note to put more effort into learning his language.

She grinned back at him and pursed her lips for a kiss. He slid down to lie again next to her and pulled her to an embrace, giving her the requested kiss. But once he pulled away, his expression darkened.

-Anya, I need to ask you a favor.

-What is it?

-About last night....You know I would do anything for you, right?

Anya was quiet.

-Well, if you didn't know, then you know now.

She just blushed and avoided his gaze, staring at his chest instead. He took her chin into his hand and raised it again.

-But please never ask me to do something like that again. I really felt like I am hurting you.

-But you were not, I did enjoy it!

-I didn't.

Anya turned on her back and stared at the ceiling instead.

-Jesus, Yuzu....you are making it sound so horrible!

-Well that's how it felt....

Anya turned back to him, a gentle smile on her face.

-Alright, I am sorry and I promise to make it up to you....once I am fit again.

-I didn't mean---

-Shush! - And she grinned at him even more.

Yuzuru couldn't keep his serious face looking at her wide smile and just had to smile as well.

-So what words were giving you a hard time in that book?

She nodded towards the book that was now lying on the pillow and Yuzuru lifted it back up on the pages he was trying to read, sitting up again.

-There are just words I never heard before....like this one....what does it mean?

He showed her the word and she read it out loud.

-Ghastly?

-Yeah....ghastly - he repeated with a strong accent.

-That means horrible, frightening, or awful.

Yuzuru nodded, trying to memorize that word.

-Could you use it in a sentence?

Anya thought for a second and then said playfully and overly dramatic, trying to imitate a deep male voice.

-The sex I had with my girlfriend last night was ghastly!

He just rolled his eyes and gently tapped the book over her head.

-Or you could say, probably at the interview after the Olympics, 'My free skate was ghastly because I didn't go to my Friday practice, that fateful day, last week of October.'