forty-three: happy new year, kira jade.

When I walk into the house, I feel the iconic bass of a why don't we party amped. Emerson decided to take 4 painstakingly long hours to get ready, making us unbelievably late.

"KJ!" I heard yelling across the room, and I looked to see Christian in a group. Emerson and I shuffle through the crowded room, bumping into drunk and high young adults who I'm pretty sure half of them aren't legal.

"Hey Crit." I say, hugging him.

"Dude, it's 10 pm. How did you just show up?" He asks, hugging Emerson. "More importantly, why are you so sober?" He slightly slurs. As I look around, I realize we are probably the only sober people in this entire party; everyone else looks to have some sort of substance in their system.

"Trust me, it wasn't by choice." I glower at Em.

"Okay, but, look at how good I look." She says, using her hands to scan her whole outfit.

The girl next to Christian hollers, "Damn girl." She's evidently drunk, but she's holding herself together well.

Emerson blows a kiss, "Thanks Ma."

"Now you have officially met Jazmine. Jaz, meet Emerson and Kira."

She pulls both of us into a hug, "The college why don't we besties, yeah?"

"That's us. It's nice to meet you." I smile, "Do you know where the boys are?"

"Uh, the couples are somewhere or the other." Christian says. "Jack's by the DJ, I think."

"Corbyn's making out with some girl." Jazmine says, swallowing her drink and pointing to the corner. We look over to see him all over a girl, her putting her hands in unholy places. I turned my head immediately, gagging while Emerson closed her eyes.

"I could have gone my whole life without seeing that." Emerson says, her hands stuck to her eyes. "I need alcohol stat." She says, walking away.

"Get some for me." I yell. She turns back, acknowledging me, and walks away. I look back to the group of people around me, "You know where Zach is?" I ask. Both Jazmine and Christian shake their heads and continue conversations amongst themselves.

I need to talk to him about something, anything. I just need to figure if what Nezza said was true. Are my feelings true?

I walk away from them, examining the crowd. It's packed, bodies next to bodies, dancing the year away. I can't even make out the DJ because of how many people are crowding this dance floor. I can't find a clock, and no one looks sober enough to tell me the time, so I decided to check my phone. But when the screen lights up, I see a message from 3 minutes ago.

-------------------------------------------------

Zach🧸

Since I can always you, come find me

make it a Cinderella story and find me before 12 ;)

-------------------------------------------------

Okay now it's a game.

-------------------------------------------------