Chapter 9: Behind the Royal Curtain

Darling's P.O.V.

"Excuse me, princess, may I come in and clean your room?" asked Christy, one of the cleaning ladies.

I had completely forgotten my room had to be cleaned. I had to hide the boxes. "In a minute!" I yelled and I quickly went into my ginormous storage closet to find something to use to hide the boxes. The maid would clean every centimeter of my room, so I couldn't hide it here. Lupe, Petra and I would get in trouble, and I was not letting that happen. Then, in front of me was the perfect disguise. I grab the box and open it. Inside were plastic flower chains, flower decorated rope that appeared to be vines. I started draping the boxes in these flowers and then hung them at my balcony. I swirled some chains around the balcony railing and it looked perfect. Just a flower decorated balcony with two hanging flower decorated cubes.

I let Christy come inside and I went to the gardens. I sat on a white bench and started thinking about my mother. She couldn't have faked that look, so she was definitely a wild child when she was my age. What changed? I walked to her and my father's room to check if there were anymore boxes with answers. My mother wasn't there, she must had taken a break. The maids were cleaning my mother's extravagant  large walk in closet. On the wall I saw a wooden bow. It looked exactly like the one from the year book, except newer. I could remember the stories I overheard my father telling Dexter and Daring. How he killed a bear named Mor'du. Then the memories of my mother's bear themed jewelry popped in my mind. What if my mother had killed Mor'du, but was forced to let my father take the credit since she was a princess back then? The gala was in 2 days, so I decided to pay attention to my mother. I needed answers.

Third Person P.O.V.

The day had arrived, two days after spring cleaning the gala was about to start. King Charming briefed his family how to act and the outfits were brought to show. They looked stunning and regal, yet Darling felt disgusted. They were large and poofy, and she felt like a walking cupcake in her powder blue dress decorated with white bows and silver accents. She wore those chain tiaras that hangs down your head. A large pink gem dripped down to the top of her forehead. Darling sighed as she looked at herself in the mirror. She much preferred her shorter dresses and leggings that let her run like the wind. Her jewelry was so heavy she felt like lying on the floor. "They're here!" announced Daring in his dark blue tuxedo with golden stripes and red bow tie.

"Darling? Where are you? Our guests are here!" asked Meri.

"Coming!" Darling called as she heaved herself through the halls and into the ballroom.

Dexter sighed. "What's the latest chapter with you?" Darling inquired.

"Well, father always criticizes me after balls and parties. He says I'm not good enough."

"Hey, don't let him knock you down. You are special in your own way," comforted Dexter's twin sister.

"Thanks Dar," Dexter said, giving her a slight smile.

The ballroom's doors opened and the guest entered. Royal families of all kind had come. The White's, Ella's, Beauty's, Croakington's, and the Charming's (the ones that aren't related to the main Charming family) all arrive with astonishing ball gowns and tuxedos. "Welcome!" Lance said, "Thank you for coming. Food is on the left, please feel free to grab a platter."

The crowd murmured and headed to the left. Darling quickly walked over to her friends, Rosabella Beauty, daughter of Beauty and Apple White, daughter of Snow White. Rosabella wore a soft yellow gown with an up down sash and yellow bows with red roses in between the bows. Her hair was in a bun with the rest of her curly hair cascading down. She had on a golden crown decorated with light green emeralds and rubies, along with beautiful rose shaped earrings. Apple's gown had three layers. First a layer of white, followed by a layer of netting with golden spirals made from glitter then the final layer was shorter than the rest and it was black mesh. Her hair was in a ponytail with two curly long hairs farming her face. She had on pink eye shadow around her blue eyes and a detailed gold tiara with three rubies carved to be bows to decorate the lovely tiara.

"Hexcellent tiara," compliments Rosabella.

Darling returns the compliment, "Thanks, that gown looks divine."

"Come on. Let's get some apple cider!" beckons Apple as she heads to the snack table.

Rosabella and Darling trail behind however as they go boys start smiling strangely at the Darling. "What do they want?" questions Darling, uneasy about their faces.

Rosabella says, "Don't worry, you're the Charming princess. Of course, they look at you."

"But they look like creeps."

Rosabella giggles, "Whatever after, don't worry about it."

Throughout the party, princes ogled at Darling. It made her nervous and she felt like punching them. Luckily, her brothers came to the rescue. They quickly led the princes away and Darling out of their sight. "Thanks," Darling said.

Daring replied, "No problem, I would never let my sister be attacked by prince's eyes."

Darling laughed. She knew her brother was overprotective over her and only accepted Chase because Daring got to know Chase and promised not to scare him away. Then the princess spotted her mother walking to the ladies' powder room (AKA the bathroom), so she quickly left. Now was her chance to find her mother's true self. Since Darling knew a shortcut, she reached the bathroom first and darted into a stall. (Yes, the Charming's were so wealthy  their ballroom had a restroom). Darling could hear her mother sigh and mutter to herself, "Can't even breathe in this dress. All for the sake of destiny."

Darling tried her best not to gasp, her mother adored destiny! Then she saw from the bottom of the stall's door her mother lifting her leg up and rub her ankles. "Shoes, why must these shoes have a four-inch tall heel?" Meri ranted.

Darling put her hand over her mouth to prevent making any sound. She had never seen this side of her mother before.

A/N: Ok, ok, I know I haven't updated in a while. Sorry, but in person school started for me and things have been busy. This chapter was sort of boring and served little purpose to the story line, but I just wanted to show that Queen Meri or should I say Merida, is not that regal as people see she is. Now I have a question for you readers: Why are the boys staring at Darling weirder than usual?

Comment what you think down below and have a great day!

P.S. Thank you @IAMJUSTCRAZY101 for suggesting the word "wealthy" :)