Chapter 23: Spotted

"Let go of me!" hissed Darling angrily as she kicks around while the guards .

The two guards say nothing, just marching down the cold stone stairs, to the dungeons. Of course, the Charming Kingdom had proper jails, but the dungeons of the castle was reserved for criminals in close relation of the Charming's. Council members, servants, even blood relatives, as long as they were a threat to the reputation and power of the Charming royal family and kingdom. Darling used to wonder who would be thrown into the dark, creepy dungeons. She used to wonder if she went down at night, would she be able to fight the monster and dragons, but now she knew. She had become one of the monsters.

However, the warrior kept fighting. This was what seperated her from all the other knights and princes her age. They did it for legacy, pride, fame, riches, she did it because she chose freedom. She refused to be another storybook character that would long be forgotten as soon as her future children took over her story, she wanted to carve her own path and tale. Darling calmed down and thought of a plan. As soon as the guards pushed her into her small, dark cell, she lowered her head and flipped her hair. Time slowed, and she made a run for it. As fast as she could she darted up the stone stairs and into the lower levels of the castle.

This was where the servants, butlers and maids worked and slept. The lowest level was their shower and bathroom facilities, while a floor above were their bedrooms. Darling rushes over to the door to the women's showers and grabs a white bathrobe hanging from a silkver hook. Darling then grabs a towel and wraps it around her platinum blonde hair. Now, she looked just like a young maid, whose only way of survival was becoming a maid. Trying to stay unnoticed, Darling traveled outside to the "backyard". If you could say it was one, it was miles long and wide, with the freshest green grass and the prettiest of flowers. Come on, Chase, where are you? Darling thought to herself, where was her boyfriend?!

After walking around unseen, she spots him. (Darling had already taken off her robe and towel) Chase was staring at the ground. Darling caught up to him and hastily hexplained what happened. "So whatcha looking at?" she asked in a low whisper.

Chase whispers back, "There are faint paw prints and they lead toward the waterfall. They're bear prints for sure."

"Then let's follow them, but be careful, my dad already knows I'm near or in the castle."

They walk towards the falls and see a large black bear sitting right in front of it. Darling immediately recognizes the spot, it was where her mother threw her sword down the falls. The bear lets out a large whimper before sniffing in the air. She whirls around and sees the treasonous princess and the red knight. "Hi mother..." trails off Darling.

Before the bear could signal or roar a reply, the three hear a yell. "Look, isn't that the princess?"

"Idiot!" cried another voice, "We need to arrest her!"

"Let's go!" shouts a third voice.

Over the horizen, three dots in shining silver armor move towards Darling, Chase and Merida (in bear form).

"LET'S GET OUT OF HERE!" yells Chase.

Darling replies while running, "Great idea!"