Cafe Musain, Paris, July 20th, 1831

Cafe Musain, Paris, July 20, 1831

Enjolras addressed the group assembled before him in the Musain, "We made good progress yesterday, I think it good to start planning our next rally."

The others nodded in agreement.

Combeferre opened his mouth to provide input but was cut off by the door slamming open and Jacquelyn hurrying inside, wet hair half pulled into braids, and clearly out of breath from running, "I'm sorry, I know, I'm sorry, I swear I didn't mean to end up late." They said, quickly moving to fall into a chair next to Jehan.

Enjolras scoffed and turned back to the group, ignoring them.

As Jacquelyn finished their braids and adjusted their cravat Jehan turned to them, "Are you alright? Did something happen?"

"Work went longer than expected, I didn't want to come here looking unpresentable and covered in sweat so I stopped to clean up, thought I'd make it on time but I didn't." They shrugged off their jacket and draped it over the back of their chair, muttering an 'oops' they quickly started to turn down the cuffs on their sleeves.

The meeting progressed, people came and left and all the suggestions Jacquelyn made were quickly shot down by Enjolras.

"I just think that if we held a rally there we'd be able to get the strength of the workers behind us!"

Fueilly started to agree when Enjolras said, "Look, we already have this planned out! We don't need any more of your bloody input!"

Jacquelyn recoiled as if stung and quietly went back to their seat between Jehan and the window.

Courfeyrac looked like he was about to intercede as the rest of the room froze, but at Enjolras' glare they all quickly went back to work.

Jacquelyn turned to look out the window and began to sing, though, to themself and not the men in the room, "Every time I see the sunset, I look for something more in it, as if something will pop out to me right there."

Outside, faintly over the buildings of Paris the sun was indeed beginning to set, "The friends of the ABC, most want to save me, they point me to the sunset, so I stare. Is anybody listening to the song that I sing? Does anyone even know who I am?"

The group continued to work around them as they began to write ideas down on a paper Jehan had handed them, pausing to look over at Enjolras, "If I sing hallelujah right on up to ya, would your angels even give a damn?"

Enjolras kept on working at blatantly ignoring the idea that at least half of the Amis had thought good.

Turning back out the window they watched as a group of National guardsmen walked past, "When the cowards turn to soldiers to solve all their problems, I wonder what I'm supposed to believe, And the king's advisors set the plane to the people who don't think the same, I wonder what they're trying to achieve?"

"Right, that's enough for today gents, you can be off." Enjolras announced sometime later.

Jacquelyn quickly tucked their papers away and approached the man, "Look, Enjolras I'm just trying to help, if you don't want me here just say it."

"Yes, well I don't want you here," Enjolras could feel the taste of the lie in his mouth, "unfortunately for me, the men actually like you."

"Right then, if I'm staying here you should actually listen to my ideas." They said crossing their arms.

"I'll listen to the ideas I wish to listen to, and they certainly won't be coming from you."

Jacquelyn sighed and turned, headed down the stairs and through the cafe, "Is anybody listening to the song that I sing? Does anyone even know who i am? If I sing hallelujah right on up to ya, would your angels even give a damn? Would you give a damn? Would you give a damn?"

They made it out onto the street and turned to see Enjolras, Combeferre and Courfeyrac arguing through the window.

Jacquelyn tugged on the end of their braids, "I don't know what I'm supposed to do! I want so much to believe in you, but it's hard when there's no justice for the thief!" They turned on an angle and started down the next street, "Staring at the sunset from my roof, searching for some kind of proof when there's none in sight! I guess that's called belief."

"Jacquelyn! Jacquelyn, wait!"

They turned to see Enjolras running up the street towards them, "What do you want?"

"I'm sorry! I was being an asshole, please don't stop coming to meetings. I really do value your opinions and I need to stop being an asshole, please, please dont stop coming because of me."

They looked at him for a moment, "Come and apologize when Courf and Ferre don't put you up to it."

Enjolras tugged a little at his shirt, as if adjusting something, nervous, "Yeah they yelled at me but they aren't why I came out here, I really am sorry. Forgive me?"

"I'll consider it."

Enjolras sighed and turned away, missing Jacquelyn's smile and singing of, "So is this belief?"

As he walked along the streets back toward the Musain he sang, "Is anybody listening to the song that I sing? Does anyone even know who I am?"

Grantaire watched him from the window, "If I sing hallelujah right on up to ya, would your angels even give a damn? Would you give a damn? Would you give a damn?"