Cafe Musain, Paris, August 2nd, 1831

Cafe Musain, Paris, August 2, 1831

Enjolras looked out over the empty backroom at Musain, everyone had left for the night, even Grantaire, with the exception of Jacquelyn who was hunched over a piece of parchment, squinting in the dim candle light.

He sighed and looked back down at the speech he was revising, attempting to continue to focus on it, instead of the one across the room from him, and the slowly growing ach of his ribs.

He did actually manage to stay focused for a few more minutes before a semi loud growl broke the peaceful near silence of the back room.

Enjolras looked up to see Jacquelyn, face red with embarrassment quickly looking back down at their writing, muttering, "Sorry."

They hadn't eaten anything that day, not since the small chunk of bread Marius had given them before they'd left for the bookshop that morning. They hadn't had the time nor the money to try and get anything to eat.

A moment later they were jerked out of their thoughts by the sound of a plate being set down on the table in front of them.

Jacquelyn's head jerked up to see Enjolras, "I'm guessing you forgot to eat again or something," He said, losing all the confidence he'd had moments before, "Uh, Jehan said you get so busy you forget to eat."

"Oh, uh, yeah I used too."

"Used too?"

They shrugged, "I guess now it's less forgetting more not wanting to waste money, we're saving so Mar can take the Bar exam."

"The bar exam is only 247 francs, I thought-" He stopped talking at Jacquelyn's glare.

"Rent is 5 francs a week, Mar insisted we pay extra to get a cleaning service so it's more like 10, plus lets say 5 a day for food, it adds up and when we left Rue Plumet we only had 250. You do the math."

"Your right, sorry, I- here." he slid the plate closer to them and sat down.

"Thank you." They murmured, tearing off a chunk of the bread.

They sat in silence for a moment before Enjolras asked, "What happened to cause you to need to move?"

Jacquelyn sighed, "Marius was an idiot, that's what happened."

"How so?"

"It's... complicated. hypothetically Marius took a title hi- uh, our-," They sighed, "Whatever, and hypothetically Grandfather didn't know about, and put it on cards and then hypothetically one thing led to another and he ended up getting disowned."

Jacquelyn was slightly surprised when Enjolras' only comment was "Ah yes, hypotheticals indeed."