Chapter 20

Please vote and comment xx

{ unedited }

---------------------------------------------

The room was cold, and the feeling of the silk sheets against my skin made me shiver. I reached towards Harry, only to find that he wasn't in bed with me. I sat up, pulling the comforter to cover my bare chest, only to find that I wasn't in Harry's room, where I had fallen asleep. Harry must've carried me up here while I was sleeping... He probably had to take care of something and didn't want to disturb me, no big deal.

I searched the drawers to find some underwear, along with a big tshirt and some sweatpants. My skin was almost numb from the cold as I felt the fabric brush over the bruises that had been forming since last night. I traced them lightly with my index finger, following the trail of purple from my chest up to my jaw.

As I made my way downstairs, I noticed that the house was eerily quiet, and the silence made me uncomfortable. "Harry," I called out into the desolate vacuum.

After no response I sauntered into the kitchen and grabbed a small container of strawberry yogurt and poured it into a small bowl along with some sliced almonds and chocolate chips. The reticence of the penthouse began to bother me, so I clicked on the tv and then made my way to Harry's office to continue my job searching. It almost startled me when the office phone started to ring, the sound echoing through the room.

"Hello, Styles residence, this is Anastasia."

"Is this Miss Ramos?" A younger woman asked.

"Yes it is, may I ask who is calling?"

She cleared her throat before speaking. "My name is Rachel and I was calling to confirm your position at Brooke's Publishing."

I placed my hand over my mouth to hold in my excited yelps and squeals. "Yes ma'am, thank you! When do I start?"

"You won't be starting until tomorrow, but if you would like to come over today so we can show you around the office, you are able to do so."

"Alright, thank you."

I quickly hung up the phone and sat for a second before quickly dialing Rebecca's number in Harry's office phone.

"What?" Becca's voice was sharp and monotonous.

"How'd you know it was me?"

"I didn't. I just picked up the phone and hoped for the best."

I let out a small laugh. "You won't believe what just happened," I said excitedly.

"You're pregnant," she blurted.

"Um, no."

"You're getting married."

"No."

"He admitted to you that you're the love of his life.

"Becca shut up," I sighed. "Remember that job I applied for at the really well know publishing company?"

She paused for a moment. "Yeah, you mentioned it a few times. What about it?"

"Well," I breathed, "they just called me and confirmed that I got the job!"

I could hear Rebecca's forced enthusiasm as she congratulated me over the phone. Something was wrong but I felt like now wasn't the best time to ask.

"I'm really excited. I start tomorrow, but today I'm going over to have a look around."

"I'm excited for you, Ana, I really am."

"Rebecca is there something wrong?"

"Why would you think that?" She sounded defensive, signaling that there was definitely something wrong.