Chapter 21

{unedited}

WARNING: SENSITIVE CONTENT

---------------------------------------------

I had just finished applying a coat of cherry red lipstick to go with my black blazer and white blouse. My tight-fitted slacks were also black and I finished the outfit with a pair of red heals that matched my lipstick.

"Where are you going," Harry said as he sat on the couch with papers splayed across the coffee table, his eyes peering over the rim of his glasses.

"Out to lunch," I answered, gathering a few things and shoving them into my purse.

Harry removed his glasses and eyed me suspiciously. "With whom, might I ask?"

I hesitated for a moment. "My boss."

He eyed me confusedly and I turned around to face him.

"You do know I got the job, right? I told you yesterday."

Harry still looked confused, but tried to cover it up with a slight smile. "Of course I remember." He turned back towards the table and rested his glasses back on his nose.

"Unbelievable," I scoffed.

Harry turned towards me once more, his eyes burning. "Excuse me?"

I rolled my eyes and tossed my purse onto my shoulder. As I started to walk towards the door, Harry stood and grabbed my arm, yanking me to face him.

"Did you just roll your eyes at me?" His grip was harsh and began to hurt. I tried to pull away but his fingers curled around my small bicep tighter and I winced.

"Let me go," I declared.

His jaw clenched. "Answer me."

I pulled my arm from his grasp and rubbed the spot gently before glaring up at him. "If you don't mind, I have somewhere I have to be."

***

I pulled up to La Madeline at 12:15, hoping I wasn't too late. I was supposed to me Mr. Carol at noon, and I felt terrible for making him wait. I quickly hopped in line, ordering a bowl of tomato-basil soup and paying for it.

As I walked through the entryway to the seating area, I spotted Mr. Carol at a table by the wall. His food looked untouched and he was on the phone with someone. It didn't look to be too serious so I made my way over and placed my tray down across from him.

He looked up at me and smiled warmly. "I'm going to have to call you back," he said before hanging up the phone. "Anastasia-"

"I know, I'm late," I interrupted. "I had some trouble getting out of the house and-"

"Anastasia," he said firmly, cutting me off. "I was just going to say that you look lovely."

My cheeks flushed and I stirred my soup nervously.

"I'm glad that you could make it."

"Thank you, sir. I was quite looking forward to this, seeing as that this will be a good opportunity for us to learn more about each other."

"I agree," he said picking up his fork and taking a bite of pasta salad. "I think you will be a wonderful new edition to our company, and I think you and I will work very well together."

I nodded and ate a spoonful of my tomato-basil. "If you don't mind me asking, why did you hire me? Surely there were other, more experienced candidates."

He nodded. "There were, but we're not looking for experience. W are looking for those with ambition and a passion for literature. Sure you are fresh out of college, but everyone starts somewhere, right?"