Chapter 16

The violent vibrating of my cell phone in my pocket distracted me from my job searching. I was tired of sitting around this week and I needed something to do. Brooke's Publishing hadn't called me back yet and it had been three days, so I started looking elsewhere. I fished my phone out of my back pocket and held it up to my ear. "Hello?" I answered, half distracted as I read the list of available jobs. Dallas had an amazing job market, which confused me as to why I didn't consider moving here sooner.

"Hey, it's Harry." He sounded excited, the tone of his voice higher than usual. "How about tomorrow, you and I go do something fun."

"Umm, ok... What do you have in mind?"

"I was thinking that maybe we could go to the Ross Perot museum or something."

I covered my mouth to hide my laughter. "The museum?"

"Yeah, the museum. I've never been but I hear it's really cool."

"Harry, babe. I hate to rain on your parade, but I don't want to go to the museum... It's not my thing."

"Oh." His voice sounded different, almost sad. "Well, what would you like to do?"

I thought for a moment, pausing my job search and turning away from the computer. "What about Six Flags?"

"Six Flags? What's that?"

"You don't know what Six Flags is?" I took a deep breath and shook my head in frustration. "Six Flags is an amusement park. You know, with rides and stuff."

"Anastasia, I don't kn-"

"Oh Harry, please," I begged. "Please, please, please! It will be fun, I promise."

He was quiet for a moment before I heard him sigh. "Ok."

I squealed in excitement, spinning around in the swivel chair that I was sitting in. "I'll go ahead and buy the tickets so that way we won't have to stand in line."

"Sounds good. I just deposited money into your bank account."

"Wait, you what?" I stopped spinning, and held my phone up to my other ear, making sure I heard him correctly. "You put money into my account?"

"In the contract, it states that I provide for you financially, so when you agreed, I joined our bank accounts. My money, is your money."

"Harry I can't let you do that."

"We'll talk about it later. Buy your tickets and I'll call you when I'm on the way home. I want you naked when I get there. Understand?"

I felt my cheeks heat up and my insides burned with anticipation. "Ok."

***

Harry called around 4:30 to announce that he was on his way home. Luckily, I was almost finished with dinner. I decided on a Parmesan Crusted chicken dish that went quite well with garlic mashed potatoes and baked cauliflower, so while the chicken was in the oven, I ran to the bedroom and stripped of my clothes. Before leaving the room, I took a look at myself in the mirror, suddenly feeling extremely self conscious. So many imperfections caught my eye to the point where I could feel tears kiss my cheeks. Memories of my high school years came flooding back into my mind; the rumors, the lies, the hurtful words. Everything came back in a huge heap that washed over my body in a depressing, menacing wave of tears.

Pull yourself together, Ana. It's all behind you now. I wiped the tears from my eyes and walked to the bathroom to dry my face and reapply my makeup so Harry wouldn't be able to see that I have been crying. I could hear music blaring from the kitchen from when I turned it on to keep myself entertained while cooking.