Chapter Twelve: I'm Sorry

(Y/N) floated down in front of the compound. The nearest doctors were already outside, awaiting his arrival.

"We'll take it from here," one of them said, and (Y/N) put a half-conscious Wanda on  the bed they had rolled out. They wheeled her inside, and (Y/N) was left all alone. He looked down at his hands, covered with Wanda's blood, and he couldn't help but think of what might have happened if he wasn't fast enough. If she had died right then and there, he didn't know what he would do. He had no ide what he'd do without her.

(Y/N) went inside the compound, washing the blood off his hands. He splashed some water on his face, and looked at himself in the mirror. This face, this person, this symbol, had saved countless people in his lifetime. But what if he couldn't save the one he loved most? What would become of him then? (Y/N) didn't want to know. 

(Y/N) knew who could tell him.

-----

(Y/N) arrived outside the fortress when the sun was just about to set. He stepped inside. The place was the exact same as it was before.

"I sense you've come to ask me something." (Y/N) heard the voice of Jor-El behind him.

"You told me I would help humanity accomplish wonders. But what if I'm not good enough? What if I'm not strong enough to stop what's coming?" (Y/N) said as he turned around to face Jor-El.

"You mean, what if you're not strong enough to save Wanda."

(Y/N) nodded.

"Wanda can fight for herself, (Y/N). You have to learn to let go."

"I know she can fight for herself. She's strong, like me."

"That's not what I'm saying, Kal. I'm saying that you have to realize your full potential. You've only tapped into a fraction of your strength, and when you do, you'll be able to stare death in the eyes and defy him. Then, only then, will you know."

"Know what?"

"Whether or not you can save the world, and, in turn, save her."

"Thank you, father."

"You've already started down the path I've predicted. You have given the people of Earth and ideal to strive for, and, when they're ready, they will follow you, Kal."

Jor-El pointed to a device in the room. "The drive that is plugged into that device contains every answer to every question you will have. All you need to do is plug it in."

(Y/N) approached the device, and saw the drive Jor-El had mentioned. He pulled it out and held it in his hand, studying it. On the front was the same symbol of hope that was on his suit.

 On the front was the same symbol of hope that was on his suit

(Y/N) turned around, but Jor-El and disappeared. He was reassured. (Y/N) needed to know how Wanda was doing.

-----

When (Y/N) came back to the compound it was late. It was cool and the breeze ruffled his (H/C) hair. Sam was outside, having noticed (Y/N) from afar.

"How is she?" He asked.

"Her leg's been stitched up and she's resting now. It's a good thing you got that bullet out, saved the doctors a lot of time and saved her a lot of blood."

"Can I see her?"

Sam just gestured inside. (Y/N) walked inside and made his way to the medical ward, where he found Wanda sleeping. He sat next to her bed and caressed her hand gently.

"I'm sorry, Wanda," he whispered. "I'm sorry that I let you get hurt. But I promise, I will do anything in my power to stop it happening again. I will even go so far as to bring you back from death's gate, no matter what it takes."

He fell asleep in that chair and spent the night, the beeping heart monitor invading his dreams.