Chapter 13: Discovery

The Heroes were the first group to exit the audience chamber while Bolar stayed behind with King Wallenstein. Apparently, he got some important matters to discuss with the ambassador.

"Well, see you guys around," Utnak waved his goodbye and walked away. "I'll go back to my usual post so you guys know where to look for me."

With Utnak out of the picture, there were only Lika and Tatiana remained standing in the hallway with him and Masami. However, Lika was also quick to bid his farewell, "There are some important documents I need to finish for His Majesty, so I should take my leave. Don't worry, John, you will get used to this place real quick."

Since there was nothing for him to do at the moment, he guessed sticking around in front of the audience chamber would not be a bad idea. Not to mention, Bolar was supposed to guide him around the place, showing him where he would live and introducing what he would do from now on.

When he stood there and waited for about five minutes, there was no sign of Bolar exiting the audience chamber.

What was the important matter they needed to discuss that would take it so long?

Better yet, after five minutes, Tatiana did not move an inch when she last left the room. Of course, the silver haired girl still gave him that vigilant and irritated look.

"Do you have anything else to do, Miss Tatiana?" Frustrated with all intense gaze brushing up against his back, Mason finally confronted her, "Or do you have any business with me?"

"Can you please follow me, John Mason?" Tatiana proposed with a stone cold expression. "There's something I need to talk with you in private."

There were a lot of mysteries about her that Mason could not keep his curiosity in check. He wanted to know what was the reason why and what piqued her interest in him so much. This was their first meeting after all, and the woman in front of him already seek him out. 

"Masami, could you stay here and wait for Bolar?"

"Yeah, sure thing," she replied. "But be careful, alright?"

"I always do."

With that said, Tatiana led him away from the hallway and after many twists and turns, they eventually reached the entrance which showed them to the back courtyard. Right outside of the entrance was the porch and there was some conveniently placed set of tables and chairs. Like reading his mind, Tatiana headed over there and sat down.

Mason followed her example and sat on the opposite side of the table.

At the very least, her expression had softened over time and now she looked a lot more like a normal girl who was about to fall asleep halfway through the conversation.

Now that he had a chance to take a closer look of how Tatiana normally expressed herself, she appeared to be more calming and had this graceful air to her. However, it was difficult to read her facial expression and eyes movement. Mason thought they were about to have the most awkward conversation.

"Let's get to the point. There is this special power that allows me to read people's minds, but yours was different. I can't read you at all. Who exactly are you?"

"Why should I answer that question, Miss Tatiana?"

"Because I know you. Well, not exactly knowing everything about you, but it's about where you came from."

"Oh, so our little miss Russian finally let her mouth lose."

"How—"

"I know a Russian when I see one," Mason nonchalantly answered. To prove that he had no beef with her, he even laid the rifle flat on the table without touching it and leaned back on the chair. Of course, his action spooked Tatiana for a brief moment, but her reaction was kind of cute as she dashed her eyes around to avoid making eye contact with him. Mason continued with his explanation, "I have been fighting them for so long that I can smell them from miles away."