Chapter 15: Return

"So what's the situation?" King Wallenstein looked at the group of knights kneeling down before him. "Did you find anything about his whereabouts?"

It has been over a month since Mason went missing from Seaside. Even though such information was contained and kept a secret, the public managed to pick it up as rumor and it created a huge uproar in the city. The cancellation of the new Hero announcement and welcoming party also confirmed the people's suspicion too so there was barely any secrecy left of the new Hero's absence.

The royal family had thrown into a huge hurdle that they could not pull themselves out unless they managed to find Mason and convinced him to go back.

"No... Your Majesty." There was clearly some hesitation in the knight's voice kneeling in the forefront of the group. "But we managed to acquire some valuable information that might show us the location of the new Hero..."

"Then tell me!"

"A couple of days ago, we investigated the northwest border for his activity."

"The northwest border?" King Wallenstein suddenly got interested in the topic as he lunged forward to hear some more. "You mean the one infested with bandits and monsters?"

"Yes, that's correct, Your Majesty. But the problem was... there weren't any presence of the bandits. When we went and asked some of the villages in the area, one of them specifically told us there was a man and a beastkin girl who saved them from a bandit attack. They also said that if there was a group of people looking for these two, then they should tell them to go to the mountain range up north. That would be the location of the bandit's town."

"What did you find?"

"What we discovered was shocking," the knight's voice trembled as he began to recall the terrifying scene. "The bandits' hideout at the foot of the mountain was nothing more than a large crater. It was almost as large as a small village and deep as the deepest well we ever dug. There was no sign of any living human or monster nearby."

Every occupant in the room widened their eyes at the reports. Even the Heroes waiting on the side and listening into the meeting were shocked to hear such news. They knew how powerful Mason was when they tested him not too long ago, but they never imagined his power went above and beyond what he had shown them.

For this entire time, he was holding back and deceiving them. All except for Tatiana as she knew what Mason did but not specifically.

To create a huge crater like the knights described, the amount of explosive he used must be abundant. Take in the fact that he has been traveling around in an armored transport vehicle and the reports about the High Orcs attack on Latina, there was no point in denying that he could call in a bomber and targeted the bandit's town.

"Well, it would be less work for us to keep that area in order. We have to thank Mason for his outstanding work at the northwest border," King Wallenstein was put into a good mood from hearing at least one good news. "So, what else did you find there? Anything related to his whereabouts?"

"Not exactly, Your Majesty, but we did find a note and a little item sitting beside it," the knight pulled out the said item from his waist pouch alongside a piece of paper and presented them in front of him. "It has come to my attention that you should see this for yourself, Your Majesty."

"Bolar, could you fetch the items and read the note out loud for everyone in this room?" King Wallenstein asked the ambassador standing at the side of the room. Since Bolar was also the person in charge of taking care of Mason, he was practically involved in every meeting and responsible for any new info about the new hero's well being.