Chapter 2: Second Life

Mason thought he was dead, but the cold water coursing through his back was something he could not ignore.

He opened his eyes out of frustration, but at the same time, he could get a better understanding of his current situation of how the hell he was sleeping on water in the first place.

His eyes were welcomed with an endless white space that stretched for miles. Everywhere he looked there was basically nothing as if he stay inside a massive room.

There was light but he could not find where it was coming from.

If this empty void considered Hell or Heaven, then it's kinda suck living in this place.

"Master Sergeant John Mason, an operator of the U.S. Delta Force. One of the most secretive special forces in the world and mostly unknown to the public."

There was a woman voice. It was calming and seductive. The voice did not particularly talked straight into his ears but rather amplified throughout the space around him.

"To sum up most of your life, you have been saving a lot of people and some of them are very important. To even save your closest friend, you were willing to risk your own life to guarantee he would live on and return to his family."

"Alright, who are you?" Mason looked around the place but there was no source of the voice where it was coming from. He still kept his calm composure as always while trying to analyze the escalating situation, "How the hell you know so much about me? Show yourself!"

"As you wish, John Mason."

Then something magical happened right in front of him.

A bright flash illuminated the area, blinding him momentarily. When he regained his vision, he was greeted by a literal goddess. She was gorgeous. With her innocent Greek-like white dress, golden fluffy hair flowing down to her waist, and white wings that expanded from her back, it was like he was staring at someone so enchanting that he was unable to peel his gaze away. She floated mid-air and looked at Mason with sympathetic eyes. After staring at him for quite a while, the woman glided down and grabbed hold his cheek with her warm hands.

"You poor little thing. It must have been hard for you to pass away like this." Her voice was soothing that Mason felt like he was about to sleep just from hearing her. "Don't worry. Your life is worth thousands of people. Our Lord had granted me the power to help you on the journey ahead."

"Wait, what? Hold on, before we continue, I want to know about Will status."

She smiled and looked at him with satisfaction, "Even in your death, you still worry about your friend. What a noble and caring person."

The Goddess waved her hand and a screen suddenly appeared out of thin air. It showed Will struggling up the ravine but he managed to get back on top safely. All the time, he noticed Will was crying and mumbling, "I'm sorry." After watching it for a while, the extraction chopper came into view and people helped Will get on the vehicle.

Mason felt bad for Will, but this was for the best for both of him and Will's future.

"You don't have to worry about your friend," the Goddess waved her hand at the screen and the event changed. It showed Will arriving at his home and reuniting with his family alongside with many events happening in the near future. "Because of you, Will was able to go home and returned to his family. Not only that, they had another child and he named him after you, John. Still, he couldn't bring himself to forget the fateful day when you lose your life. He was still blaming himself because it was his fault that you died."

I'm sorry, Will.

The same statement repeated in his mind yet again. There was nothing for him to do besides moving on and cope with the loss.