Chapter 6: CQC

From the moment he arrived in this world, he did not really have any chance to witness any form of magic.

To be honest, he was kind of excited because his first time experiencing magic was not watching it by the side but fighting against it.

The real question would be what type of magic he had to deal with? Will it be offensive magic like throwing and summoning fire, lightning, water, and many other elements? Will it be defensive magic that protects its user from physical or magical attacks? Will it be some sort of a hex or curse magic that will make him die from the inside?

Mason did not know

but he was keen on finding out what danger lied ahead of him.

In order to make this expedition into the cave much easier, Mason put down his MSR to lighten the weight. Bringing alongside a cumbersome sniper rifle on his back while traversing in a tight corridor was not really a bright idea. He made sure to hide the weapon away in a secluded spot that nobody would likely to find it.

He then made the final preparation by pulling out his GPNVG and mounted it on top of the helmet.

Seeing the preparation from the side, Masami could not contain her curiosity and asked him, "What are you doing, Mason? Don't you need like a torch or light magic to go inside?"

"Not really," Mason pointed at the four tubes attached to his helmet. "This device will help me see in the dark and provide thermal imaging even through fog, dust, and smoke."

Not to mention, there was a high chance of him getting ambush inside the cave, and the light from either a torch or flashlight would compromise his position even faster.

"Thermal imaging?" Even though she was excited when Mason explained it could help him see in the dark, she was confused about all the strange term coming out from his mouth.

"Basically it can detect heat from the body. Anyway, I should get going and finish this test." Mason turned toward the dark side of the cave and took in a deep breath, "Masami, could you stay out here in case some goblin decides to escape?"

"No, I'm going with you."

For the first time ever, Mason was shocked to hear the girl was being rebellious. It was not a joke either, because when he looked back at Masami, her eyes were filled with determination and fiery fighting spirit. She was like a completely different person from the timid girl he used to know.

More mature was the right word he was looking for.

"I want to be more useful to you. I know how to look after myself and I can definitely help in your journey ahead. I don't want to always rely on your power, and I need to improve myself so that I can stand by your side!"

Mason snorted and shook his head, "Since when I'm stopping you from making your own decision?" A sudden realization appeared on the fox girl face, Mason took this chance to continue, "I'm here to take care of you but it is up to you to decide your own future. I believe you are a strong person as you managed to make it this far, so there's no need to consult my permission."

"Does that mean—"

"Yes, you can come with me, but stay close and watch my back," Mason pulled down the GPNVG and turned toward the inside of the cave. Looking through the green tint of the device, the darkness in front of him was much clearer than his own naked eyes. There was one concerning point came across his mind as he began walking into the cave and leaving the sunlight behind him, "Don't you need some light, Masami?"

"I'm a fox beastkin. We have better senses than any human so we can see in the dark quite easily," Masami answered proudly.

"Oh, is that so? Anyway, is the combat knife good enough for you?"