Chapter 5: Test

The group made their way through the main gate and immediately entered the bustling area of the town. Even though it was not as crowded as a city or metropolis, this town had a fair amount of people that they managed to flood the main street.

People were going about their business of the day: groups of women huddled together to gossip, street vendors yelling on top of their lung to advertise their products, and there were customers visiting every shop along the way.

So the outskirt of the town would be a commercial district and he guessed further inside would be the residential area.

One noticeable thing he noticed that could not replicate on history book was the smell and unhygienic condition of this place. Even on the main area of the town, there were a lot of trashes thrown to the side of the street, which was filled with mud and dead rodents. The situation was even worse when he walked passed a small alleyway. It felt like he was staring in a hallway filled with death and despicable smell of rotten fleshes.  

For most of their walk through the street, Masami was holding onto him tightly. She was obviously scared that somebody would suddenly snatch her away, but Mason been holding onto her hand the entire time in case she got lost in this sea of people.

"Are you okay?" Mason asked her.

"Yeah, I'll be fine..."

"Alright, if you are feeling uneasy, just tell me."

"Don't worry. I need to be strong enough so I can't be a liability all the time. It just with this many people..."

Mason nodded at her determination. This was a good first step for her. Masami needed to face her fear so she could not drag him down in the near future.

"Oh yeah, I forgot one thing," Luca suddenly turned around and conversed with him, "Mason, you should get an adventurer identification."

"An adventurer identification?"

"Yes, that's correct. It's an identification that was widely accepted by all kingdom from this continent, so people don't really have to go through the process of questioning like back at the main gate ever again. I'm sure you don't want that, right?"

"Yeah..."

"Not to mention, you look like a capable person that can fight monster and such," Luca declared as she took a good look at him again. "You will have no problem with the selection. Also, people will respect you more. It might even help Masami in the future to get rid of her slave status."

"You mean—"

"Yes, you can buy her freedom if you have enough money. Adventure earn the highest amount of money, but they also have the riskiest job."

Why the fuck he would buy her freedom when he can just escape the law and kill everything who went looking for her? Those assholes should not receive any money as far as he concerned.

Still, it was not a bad idea. He needed to adapt to this world and there was no better place to get an identification in which he can travel anywhere he wanted.

"Sure, I'll do it. Where can I sign up?"

Luca smiled as if it was the greatest news she ever heard. She suddenly grabbed one of Mason's hand and put something on it, "I guess you don't have any form any of currency since this is the first time you visited in this land. Here are ten large copper coin and that would be enough for the registration fee. Don't worry, you can pay it back whenever. Anyway, we're on our way back to the Adventurer Guild, it's the place where you also sign up."

Mason followed them until they finally reached one of the many plazas located within the town. This place even had more vendors and shops but it didn't really matter since his focus was on the only massive building from the area.