Chapter 14: Wild West

Moving along the northwest border of the Seaside Kingdom, the land was one of the most deserted areas in the entire nation. Stretching for many miles toward the west border of the kingdom until reaching the Lost Forest, there was hardly any bustling settlement like those toward the coastline or near the capital.

As some people did not know about the treasure trove laid underneath the soil, with the constant threat from the monsters roaming further down south and outside the reach of Seaside's military jurisdiction, the area was definitely not the safest place to live in peace and settled down. Yet, some people discovered that the area provided the most fertile land in all of Seaside and it could supply an abundance of different crops year-round for the kingdom's usages and trading purposes. Wallenstein used his wealth to entice any prospect farmer who would want to settle alongside the border. An inhumane way to bribe to commoner but effective nonetheless. The temptation was very strong and attracted some people, but only the most courageous farmers out there dared to venture to the northwest border.

As a result, a couple of small villages were established with a population barely over a hundred.

Among the hard working farmers collecting their harvest for the day, Walter was one of those people who were unwilling to come with his family because of all the rumor he heard about the northwest border. Even though he was unwilling, there was one important reason he would come to this godforsaken land.

But after living for two years in this area, it wasn't as bad as people described them.

"It seems we're getting more work done unlike yesterday, ain't it?" His father walked up next to him while carrying a batch of freshly cut wheat on his shoulder. Over forty years old and his old man still kicking like he was still in the city patrol group back in his young age. "Glad you could join us today, son. Though don't try to push yourself. You just recovered from a cold."

"Don't worry, pop, I'm fine," Walter turned his head around as he finished chopping off the wheat with his sickle. The sun burnt and wrinkled face with a unique goat beard came to Walter's view as he stood up level-headed to his father. Seeing all the sweat beating down his father's forehead and sharp breathing, Walter felt sorry for him, "Father, why won't you take a break? I'll finish the rest of this area by myself before dusk."

His father suddenly widened his eyes at his proposal and let out a confident laughter, "What is this? It's not like I cannot work! Alright, let's have a contest to see who collects the most today."

"Are we really doing this?" Walter asked, knowing that he won every time when his father made a gathering like this into a competition. "You should take this time to rest."

"Rest is boring. I like working because it's fun and keeps my blood pumping," his father argued, "don't ever speak to me about resting until the rest of the day."

"Yes, father..."

 It was not like his father was in any danger of passing away because of his old age or health problems. If he had to be honest, his father might be even healthier than him.

"Not to mention, we have to take advantage of every available able body to finish the gathering. We almost reached the deadline when the next trading carriages coming this Fall." His father stopped for a moment and peered over Walter's shoulder to have a good look at the village behind him. He suddenly flashed a cheeky smile, "Look like you'll be busy for a bit. I'll leave you two to talk it out. Go take a break."

"Walter! Good day to you!"

It was Helena's voice.

When Walter turned around, he could see the woman of his life was running at him with full speed and already within his arms reach. Always the energetic one, that was for sure. Even though she was wearing a cheap dress, her short brunette hair fluttered side to side as it provided a very gorgeous sight of her figure and one way to describe her overall personality.