Chapter 1: Blood Brothers

It was so damn hot and dry that he could feel the sweat from his head evaporating the moment it released from his skin.

Still, if he got the time to complain about such a trivial matter, he could use those precious moments to focus more on the mission.

There was no small talk between him and his spotter, but at some point, there would be one when they waited long enough as those two got bored just from watching the sands.

"Hey, John, do you ever think of finding a girl of your life and settle down on a nice piece of land for the rest of your life?"

"Not really," Mason replied but his eyes did not move away from his scope. "Why are you bringing this up?"

"I feel sorry for you, man. At least back at home, you know there always be someone looking toward for your return."

"So that's the reason why, huh?" Mason thought about it for a moment, but he decided to brush it aside because it was not really the time to disgust about his life. "The thought of you coming home is also the reason why you keep fighting in order to get back to Maria?"

"Not only Maria but also Lilly."

"Lilly?"

"You'll be the first person to know this. Maria is pregnant. I'm going to be a father soon."

"Wow, that is a bit of a surprise but congrats. It's more of a reason to finish this mission and go back stateside."

"Yeah," his spotter sighed. "After this mission..."

"Will, don't you think you need to retire soon?" Mason brought up the same topic that been circling in their platoon for the past few months. "Aren't you too old for this shit?"

"My family is here. I'm not going to leave you guys here fighting the fight alone."

No matter how their team members persuade the man, Will always gave the same answer and the upper brass also respected his decision. However, Mason knew better of the story. The company commander will appoint him as the platoon leader after they honorable discharged Will from the military.

I'm sorry, Will, but this is for your own good. You had done enough for us, now it is our turn to return the favor.

"There's movement at the rendezvous point."

Mason immediately snapped his attention back on the ground when he saw trucks moving toward the meeting area. There were already people waiting at the place, but those were not their target.

"Damn, an attack helicopter? Intelligence did not say anything about this."

Surprisingly enough, accompanying right behind the truck convoy was an attack helicopter, an MI-28, acting as a guardian angel.

"Should we withdraw?" Mason suggested.

"Once we lost our prey, there will be no way to pick up the trail again in the near future. My decision is to stay here. Still, what will be yours, John?"

That was the reason why people like to work under Will's command. Old and stubborn but a tough nut to crack.

"I'll stay. We have been through worse."

"Good," Will continued to look through the spotting scope. "Target is confirmed. General Dimitri Antonov. Intelligence told us that he been selling state-of-the-art weapons to the Syrian in secret. It will be up to us to stop this trade."

Mason continued to scan the meeting as it progressed nicely without any hindrance. The Russian presented the Syrian the weapons packed inside the trucks, while the Syrian shown the appropriate amount of money to buy it off.