Chapter 3: Realization

Dusk had finally settled across the horizon so Mason decided they should camp up for the night.

It was rather good timing since he can adjust the time on his watch and matched it with this world time zone.

After his encounter with Masami, they continued to walk for another five hours through the forest toward the same direction yet there was no luck of finding any sign regarding human civilization.

To be honest, he thought of having Masami by his side, it would slow down his process but the little girl managed to keep up with his pace rather quickly.

With the campfire set up, he finally settled down on the ground to remove most of the heavy gears he been carrying around for an entire day. At the same time, he went and prepared some meal for both of them.

For the first time since meeting him, Masami finally had a good look at the man. Even with all the clothing around his body, Mason was a rather large build individual. Since his attire and weapons were so strange from what she usually knew, the little girl could not help it but blushed and decided to ask some question.

"Um, Mason, where do you exactly come from?"

Small talk, eh? Not that Mason mind but he realized that he was the only person with the secrets around here. He walked up to her and handed over a prepared package of MRE while he found a seat next to her. After eating some of his own MRE, Mason finally got the stomach to answer.

"Well, it's complicated... I came from far away land and somehow I got myself lost in this forest." His explanation was half true, but he could not afford to scare or confuse the girl with the fact that he came from a different world.

"Why are you going through the trouble of helping me? I'm just a slave after all."

"Slave or not, you're still a human being. Wait, what are you?"

"I'm a fox beastkin... " For some reason, her animal ears droop down like a sad little puppy.

Mason nodded at her statement as he continued to contemplate. So this world had demi-human? Does this world some sort of a fantasy and magic world?

"Anyway, to answer your question, I like helping people," Mason smiled at the girl but Masami only returned a dumbfounded reaction. "There's no other reason for it. You're clearly in danger and those bandits were about to hurt you."

Masami figured there were more reasons to Mason noble action, but apparently, he did not want to reveal that part yet. If he actually meant it, then this world could use more people like him. Yet, there were more questions piling up inside her head as she was eager to learn more about him.

"Who exactly are you, Mason?" Masami began to eye at the strange stuff laying beside him. "Are you some sort of an adventurer?"

Mason widen his eyes at the word she mentioned adventurer but he brushed it aside and focused on answering her question, "Well, to begin with, I'm a soldier."

No wonder why she felt an intimidating yet calming aura from him. He gave off this strange smell of brutality and a cold-hearted killer, but somehow he managed to stay humane and living like a normal human being. It was kind of ironic when she stared at Mason gentle appearance.

Masami felt that she was looking at two souls staying inside one body.

She wanted to know more about him, but she could not hold her exhaustion down anymore as her body and eyelids became heavier. Not too long after, she let out a long yawn and laid down on his shoulder.

Seeing the sleepy face that suddenly took a nap on his shoulder, Mason snorted and smiled at her.

She was an adorable little creature.