The Vigilante II

She couldn't stop thinking about yesterday.

Sure, her mom immediately rushed over to pick her pathetic daughter from the supermarket after not getting any response over the phone. Even giving her a scolding right there and then even though she was over twenty years old.

Let's just say, Yaya would be staying away from that supermarket for a veerryy long time.

Of course, she got over that embarrassing incident rather quickly.
There was something else that was bugging her mind.

The Vigilante.

Why?

So many questions bugged her mind, that she didn't notice until Ying slammed her canned coffee to the table.

"You're dozing off again"

Guilty. "Maybe"

She didn't comment further though, just stealing Ying's coffee and taking a sip out of it.

Ying rolled her eyes in amusement. "You're lucky I care about you"

"The feeling is mutual"

"You're still thinking about the Vigilante aren't you?"

Yaya clicked her tongue. No point in lying to her best friend.
"He resembled Boboiboy so much. I couldn't help comparing them"

"And then?"

"The more I compare them, the more I'm convinced that they're both the same person"

Ying looked at her thoughtfully, before taking back her stolen coffee. "If you're sure of that, you need solid evidence though"

Yaya looked at Ying as she thought over her words deeply.

Evidence...

............................................

"You're crazy!"

Yaya glared at her dark-skinned friend.

"I told you to not come"

"And let you kill yourself?"

Yaya ignored Gopal and proceeded to continue hacking the island's security cameras.

"You do realise that this is illegal?"

"Relax. I've broken down the last firewall. Nothing happened"

She clicked on the mouse and let her programme copy all security footage into her pen drive.

Gopal sighed but kept watch anyway. He wasn't going to let someone who he already considered as a sister get thrown into prison.

His hearing detector sensed footsteps from a few miles away.
"Um.. Yaya?"

Yaya heard him briefly before letting out a satisfied smile.

100% completed.

She pulled out her pen drive and removed her programme from the security system.

"Done. Let's go!"

......................................

"..once again the Vigilante saved the day. Videos recorded by civilians showed how the hero chased down a group of robbers with his two bare hands without any use of superpowers. Maybe this new hero really is better than..."

"Turn it off"

Fang immediately switched off the news and complied after her cold voice.

The room became quiet, minus the tapping of Yaya's keyboard as she prepared the data Fang requested just a few minutes ago.

Her eye bags seemed darker today.
He noted.

He'll regret asking this later.
"When was the last time you slept properly?"

Yaya's eyes were glued to her laptop screen. "A year ago"

Fang chided himself mentally and decided to change direction.
"When was the last time you slept for more than two hours?"

It took a while before she could come up with an honest reply.
"A week ago"

Fang kept quiet. He learned over the years of friendship that she has an undeniable temper. And a sleep-deprived Yaya was not something he wanted to face.

"Here"

Yaya passed him the pen drive that now contained all the data he needed. He uttered a thanks as she turned towards her laptop again. Just then, he noticed the light in the room glistening on a particular shiny object just next to the stacks of papers on her desk.

An object that was once charred and almost pulverised into pieces.

Something he hadn't seen since he dreadfully gave it to Yaya.

Something that painfully reminded that his friend/nemesis was gone.

Boboiboy's power watch.

Seems like Yaya somehow managed to save Boboiboy's power watch and keep it in tact and polished.

Just as he wanted to ask about it, Yaya stood and headed towards her pantry for another cup of coffee.

Fang sighed and decided not to ask. He was rushing for his next field  mission anyway.

"Get some sleep, Yaya"

"Yeah, yeah. I will. Stop bugging me or I'll report it to Ying. "

Fang smiled, noting the light-heartedness in her voice. He looked at her one last time before leaving her lab. Which meant he totally missed what Yaya said under her breath; "after I gathered all evidence once and for all"

........................

There was no denying it.

Two weeks of collecting footages, tracking his frequent locations, comparing their physical builds, matching their timelines.

Two weeks which left her convinced that her theory was right.

The circumstantial evidence were all there.

She just needed to confront the Vigilante for a solid one.

She closed her laptop and stretched her arms, relieved after sitting in front of the screen for more than an hour. She glanced at her power watch on her wrist.

2 am.

Well, at least she could sleep for more than 2 hours tonight.

Even as she laid on the bed in her room at TAPOPS, ignoring the empty side of the bed next to her, she still couldn't sleep.

Questions were burning in her head.

Why hadn't he returned?

Why did he pretend to be gone?

Why was he doing this?

Why did he left her?

Did he no longer love her?

Yaya shook her head to throw that thought away. Impossible. If she kept asking herself that one dreadful question, she'll just end up getting more heartbroken than she already was.

She wasn't getting anywhere with her thoughts.

But then, could you blame her for thinking that way?