39 - Attack

Matt and Rose headed to school together on Friday morning. The entire school was buzzing about the upcoming dance and naturally, Matt asked Alex to go with him. She gladly accepted his invitation.

Rose groaned as she heard everyone talk about it. All she wanted was for everyone to shut up about it.

"Can everyone just shut up about the dance?" Rose said as she and Matt entered the school. "I get it, it's a dance, but the school held multiple dances before, why are they so excited about this one?"

"I don't know," Matt shrugged. 

"Are you going with Alex?"

"Yeah," Matt nodded. "Please tell me you're not going anyone."

"Obviously not," Rose scoffed. "I'm not going to the dance at all."

"Of thank god," Matt said, relieved.

Rose smiled at her brother. 

"Alright, I'm going to go talk to Austin," Matt said.

"Austin?" Rose repeated. "Austin?"

"He's one of the guys who tried out for the basketball team," Matt said. 

"Is he good?"

"He's almost as good as Jack."

"Ooh, I doubt Jack would not be too happy to hear that," Rose said. "Someone's better than him."

"Almost," Matt corrected. "Key word, he's almost as good as Jack."

Rose smiled.

"Oh, dear god," her smile disappeared, her eyes on a brown haired boy down the hall, "it's Max. If he asks, you haven't seen me since we got here."

Matt smiled as Rose walked down the hall and disappeared.

Matt began heading over to his locker before talking to Austin when, as expected, Max stopped him.

"Hey, Matt," Max said.

"Yes, Max?"

"Have you seen Rose?" Max asked. "I need to talk to her."

"I have no idea," Matt shrugged. "I haven't seen her since we got to school."

"Oh," Max said, disappointedly. "Well, I'll see you later."

"Bye," Matt said.

Max walked away from Matt.

Matt put in some of his notebooks into his locker when he felt someone tap on his shoulder.

He looked back as he turned around.

"Oh, hey, Austin," Matt greeted him.

"Hey," Austin said, cheerfully.

"What's up, Austin?"

"I, uh -" Austin hesitated, "I just figured that you know, um -"

Matt raised an eyebrow.

"Sorry," Austin said, guilty, "I just - my brother and I are new here and I'm just trying to make friends."

"Hey, it's cool," Matt assured him. "Where did you and your brother move from?" he asked as he closed his locker door.

"We're from Virginia," Austin said as he and Matt began walking, "Roanoke, Virginia."

Matt smiled and nodded.

Matt found himself walking Austin to his first period class as they talked. 

It was the first time in a while that Matt felt like he had someone to talk to. He had Jack, they talk on the phone and text often, but it wasn't the same.