Chapter 2: Ante

As I closed the front door and left for work, I smiled slightly as my thoughts went back to the moment I spent with Martial. I enjoyed visiting him at the cemetery and taking care of his grave was important to me. During these moments, I could almost feel his presence and it was a comforting situation.

Once in the office, I greeted Imogen who was drinking a cup of coffee near the entrance and went to my office to put my bag on my desk. I sat in front of my computer and turned it on before checking the meetings of the day. I still had some time before my first meeting so I got up and walked toward the coffee machine.

"Hey, everything went well?" Imogen asked as she was sipping on her steamy cup.

"Yes... Nazar came with me. It was great." I explained before adding, with a silent sigh. "I told him about the opportunity we had to foster a child... He hasn't answered yet but it surprised him a lot and I could see that he was hesitant. I'm not sure he will agree..."

"It's understandable to be hesitant. He's blind so big life changes like that must be scary, especially when he's so dependend on you." She answered and sent me a reassuring smile.

"I know that but he had never been a big fan of children and I don't want him to agree just to make me happy and then become resentful..." I sighed softly before asking. "Any news about Chloé?"

"I called her a few days ago. She's supposed to give birth in two months and her husband is taking a good care of her." She explained and I smiled at these words. I would need to call her soon. I hadn't been able to see her since she moved to Manchester. "And what are you going to do if he refuses to foster a child?" She asked, going back on this subject.

"What do you want me to do? We're a team and I can't force him. That's something we both need to agree to."

She smiled at my words and threw her empty cup into a bin before walking back to her office. I went back into mine, knowing that she had a meeting soon and closed the door behind me. I really liked this small building that Imogen and I rented. It was a modern building in the city center that was big enough for both of our offices and we arranged a small entrance with chairs, a coffee machine and a few toys for our youngest patients.

As the time went by, I looked at my next meeting's info and opened the correct file to read what I had about this patient. I quickly realized that it was a new patient and I didn't have a lot of information, except for his name and age: Matt Carter, sixteen. And the reason he was coming. I got up when I heard the front door being opened and greeted the worker from the orphanage and the teenager in front of me. He had a black eye contrasting with his pale skin and his bright red hair. I invited him in my office while the woman waited on one of the chairs. I closed my office door behind us and turned toward him. "Before we start, do you want something to drink?"

"I'm fine." He answered in a rough voice, still looking at me curiously.

I nodded and sat on my chair before starting to speak. "Can you tell me why you are here?"

"You know why I am here." He replied simply while crossing his arms on his chest, sitting on the other side of the desk.

"I would rather hear it from you." I said and, as he didn't answer, I added. "I'm here to help you. And everything will stay between us. I promise."

"What about a deal?" I frowned slightly at his answer not expecting it. "You answer my questions and I will answer yours."

My eyes widened slightly at these words. It wasn't the first time a child or a teenager had difficulties expressing themselves and confessing their problems but it was the first time one tried to blackmail me. "I'm listening." I ended up saying, wanting to know what he had in mind.