Chapter 36: Ante

I called the doctor to book an appointment as soon as we arrived back home. I could see that Nazar wasn't feeling really well even if he was doing his best to hide it. Luckily for us, he was able to squeeze us between two patients and we were currently in the waiting room while Ethan was spending time with Noah and his mother. When the doctor called for Nazar's name, we got up and I led him inside the room. We sat in front of his desk as he greeted us.

"So, what brings you here?" He asked, his eyes moving from Nazar to myself.

"I'm sure it's not much but I've had some headaches and nausea recently." Nazar explained, making the doctor nod.

"These symptoms can happen for various reasons. Could you tell me more? How long have you had them?"

"A little over two weeks..." He admitted after a few seconds, making my eyes widen slightly. He didn't tell me it lasted for so long. "But it's not all the time! And it was only the headaches before. Mostly in the mornings and evenings. Nausea arrived a few days ago."

"Anything else?"

"Not really... I feel tired but I guess it's normal if I'm sick."

The doctor took a few minutes to think before answering. "I would like to do more extensive examinations. But I don't want you to worry, it's simply a precaution." His gaze met mine as he said that and I nodded, understanding what he meant. I shouldn't start to overthink like I often do. "I would like to start with a physical exam, if you don't mind." Nazar nodded and the doctor got up soon after. He started by checking his blood pressure and heart rate. "I would like you to do some blood tests. Were the results of your prostate exam alright? I haven't seen them yet."

"It wasn't the usual urologist but he told us the result were fine." I answered before turning toward Nazar when I caught him lower his head slightly from the corner of my eyes.

"It's true. He said everything was fine but... But it felt different." He said before adding. "It's probably nothing but he didn't know I was blind. And he kept asking questions I couldn't answer. But it doesn't matter as the results were alright."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked, a frown on my face. I didn't like that he kept me in the dark, especially regarding his health. This could be serious.

"I didn't want you to worry for nothing." He answered, taking my hand into his and squeezing it softly.

"No need to start worrying. Let's do some blood tests first." The doctor said, interjecting into the conversation.

The consultation ended soon after and we left his office. As we were walking back home, I couldn't help but tell Nazar what was on my mind. "I would appreciate if you didn't hide these type of things from me. This could be serious for all we know."

"I didn't want you to worry for nothing. It was just headaches! I told you when I started having nausea as well." He replied in a slightly annoyed tone.

"Yeah, about two weeks later... And let's not even talk about the urologist."

"Come on, let's not fight about this. I would have told you sooner if I knew it would last this long. I wanted you to enjoy these holidays. You always work so hard and now that Ethan is here, you're also busy during the weekends. I didn't want you to worry about me on top of all this." He answered with a sigh before squeezing my hand softly.

I sighed and squeezed his hand back. I could never stay mad at him for long. Plus, I knew he wasn't wrong. I always worried about him even for small things.  Once back home, I checked my schedule to see when I could book a blood test for tomorrow morning. Sadly, my schedule was pretty packed and I couldn't reschedule at the very last minute easily.