Chapter 22: Ante

The Christmas holidays went well and I was glad Ethan had an amazing time and loved the various gifts we got him. I was on my way to work after walking Ethan to school when my phone rang. I pulled it out of my coat's pocket and saw it was Mr. Collins, the director of the orphanage. 

"Good Morning Mr. Ross. Happy New Year. How were the holidays? Is Ethan making great progress?" I proceeded to tell him more details about the holidays, letting him know how the sessions were going - keeping some details to myself. "I'm glad to hear things are going well. Do you think he will soon be ready to be adopted? I've been talking to this nice couple and they would be interested in getting to know him."

This made me stop in my tracks. Obviously, I knew that sooner or later this was going to happen but I didn't expect it to be so soon. "I-... He learnt to trust us with time but I don't know how he would react meeting new people. He's still pretty shy at school and doesn't really talk to people unless they talk to him first. It would need to happen slowly and they shouldn't try to rush things."

"Would you mind if we all come in the next few weeks to see how Ethan feels around them?"

"No, of course not." 

He thanked me and ended the call soon after. I sighed, putting my phone back in my pocket and continued to walk, speeding a little. A part of me hoped things would go well and that this couple was the perfect family for him but the other part of me was sad. I grew pretty attached to him and I knew I was going to miss him. I always knew it was going to be a temporary arrangement but it was going to be harder than I first thought it would be.

I stepped inside the building and immediately went in my office, putting my bag on the floor and removing my coat. I pulled a small gift out of my bag before going in Imogen's office, greeting her with a hug. 

"For you." I said, handing her the present.

"You shouldn't have." She replied, kissing my cheek with a smile.

"Thanks again for helping Nazar."

"You know I don't mind! I love spending time with him and we always have great conversations together." She smiled as she unwrapped her gift and discovered a small gold bracelet. "This is gorgeous, thank you. Let's eat lunch somewhere today, it's on me."

I went back in my office and opened my schedule and my files. When it was time, I got up to greet my first patient, ready to start this new year and do my best to continue to help children and teenagers. When it was time for lunch, I put my coat on and took my bag before going to see Imogen. She joined me in the waiting room a minute later and we left, locking our office behind us. We went to a small restaurant across the street and were seated in a corner of the room. We ordered our meal and a beer and, while waiting for the server to come back, I started to tell her about the call I got this morning.

"... I agreed to let them come to see how Ethan feels around them. If he feels comfortable around them and if they agree to adopt him, I would still continue following him during sessions here for a while."

"I didn't expect it to happen so soon." She simply said once I stopped talking.

"Neither did I. But I've given him weekly updates since Ethan came here to live with us so I guess this is more like a test to see if he's ready to meet families or not. He seems to think he is ready so we will see how he reacts. I'll do my best to make him as comfortable as possible."

"I assume you haven't called Nazar to let him know yet?"

"No, I will tell him when I come back home. It's not like he was going to leave right away. It will take some time and some visits before letting him move in with them, if everything goes well."