Chapter 23: Nazar

I got woken up early by Ante, making me groan softly. It took a minute for my brain to start working and realize what day it was: the first meeting between that family and Ethan. I got up and took a brief shower before taking my best suit out of the wadrobe which was easy to find as it was the one further on the left. I put it on and went downstairs to join Ante and Ethan in the kitchen. As we were eating, no one was talking and it was easy to feel everyone was a little tense.

Someone knocked on the door not too long after the dishes were done and I straightened up, ready to meet these people. We walked toward the front door and I heard Ante greet them and I recognized among them the voice of Mr. Collins, the director of the orphanage. I shook their hands once it was my turn and stepped aside to let them enter.

"Hello, Ethan. I'm Mrs. Monsoon but you can call me Julie. And this is my husband, David. We're really happy to meet you." The woman said in a nice and gentle voice.

"Why don't we all sit in the living room? I'm sure it will be more pleasant." Ante said, breaking the awkward silence following Mrs. Monsoon's little speech.

We all sat in the living room, Ante next to me. "You've grown a lot since the last time I saw you." Mr. Collins said and I could hear the smile in his voice. "Do you like your school? Have you made some friends?"

"I made three friends and we're going to organize a birthday party next month." Ethan said and, even if it was easy to hear he was shy, you could also hear his excitment talking about that party.

"A party? Ooh, I love parties." Julie said, trying to insert herself into the conversation. "Maybe we could come? We will bring some extra gifts."

"... I already gave all my invitations..." Ethan said softly after a minute of silence and my eyes widened slightly at his answer.

I couldn't see what was happening but I could bet that this wasn't the reaction they expected.

"We could always make more invitations if you want." Ante told him quickly, trying to make up for the situation.

"No, thank you." I did my best not to smile at his polite but firm answer.

"Maybe we should get to know each other before trying to make future plans." Mr. Monsoon said, cutting his wife off just as she was about to answer.

I nodded and listened as they started to present themselves more in details to us and Ethan in particular. I learnt that they were in their thirties and that they owned a little bakery outside of this town. Then, the wife described more in details their house and the big room Ethan could have if he agreed to move with them. A silence appeared when she asked him to speak about himself.

"Can I go in my room?" Ethan whispered a few minutes later.

"O-... Sure. You can go, we will stay here and talk a little, alright?" Ante answered in a voice full of surprise.

I heard little steps leaving the living room and the silence enveloped us again. Awkward was an understatement. "I think talking about his future room or trying to make plans was too much for a first meeting." Ante spoke once Ethan left.

"We're just trying to make him interested in coming with us." The wife, Julie, answered slightly indigned.

"Mr. Ross is right. You know of his past and I've told you that you needed to take things slowly. You need to gain his trust before bringing him home with you." Mr. Collins intervened.

"We're sorry. We've always wanted to adopt a child and my wife got a little too carried away. We will do better next time, if you agree to give us another chance." The husband said, his wife agreeing after him.