Chapter 13: Nazar

I woke up hearing a feminine voice downstairs. I took a minute before stepping out of the bed and getting ready for the day. When it was done, I made my way downstairs, the voice getting louder at every step.

"Hello!" Sylvie exclaimed cheerfully and I replied back with a smile. 

As always, I checked if there was any new message and I smiled when I heard Ante's voice a few seconds later. I opened the fridge, taking out the pancakes he left and put them on the counter while I prepared myself a cup of coffee.

"Would you like something to drink? Or do you want some pancakes?" I asked Sylvie while waiting for my coffee to be ready.

"I'm good, thank you. Do you want something, Ethan?" 

"No, I'm not hungry anymore." He replied quietly before adding quickly. "Hello."

"Good morning, I didn't know you were awake." I answered as I took my steamy cup. "Did you enjoy the pancakes?"

"They were good." He replied and I smiled as I sat around the table and started my breakfast. I didn't expect him to tell me so many words after only a few days.

"Ante is a really talented cook. If you tell us your favorite meal, he could make it."

"I like chicken and potatoes with sauce." He told me after a minute of silence.

I smiled again, happy that he was opening up, at least with me. It was a step in the right direction. "Got it. I'll let him know unless you want to be the one asking him. It would make him happy if you did." 

He didn't answer and I finished my breakfast before putting the dishes in the sink.

"Do you have any plans? Ethan and I were planning to play with modeling clay, you could join us." Sylvie explained, making me stop in my tracks.

"I know I have many talents but I'm not sure I'll be very good at it." I answered, wondering what I could do. This answer made Ethan chuckle so quietly that I almost didn't hear it. "But I can try a little."

If me trying modeling clay could help Ethan trust us and open to Ante, it would be great. I didn't want yesterday evening to repeat again. 

"Okay so what do I do?" I asked once we were all sitting around the kitchen table.

"You pick colors and create what you want." Sylvie explained before adding. "Or just one color."

"Just give me the color you don't want, I don't really care." I added and opened the little plastic box someone put in my hands.

I removed the clay from the box and started malaxing it. The smell and the texture were nice and soft and, so far, it was a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be. I took some clay and made a small ball before flattening it against the table. I took two smaller balls to create some eyes and then took some clay and tried to make a small, slightly curved line to make a smile. I then took some and tried to make a nose before putting them all on the face I created earlier, hoping they would be at the right place.

"What is it?" Ethan asked, breaking the silence.

"It's supposed to be me." My answer made him laugh and I stopped in my tracks. "Is it that bad?"

"You put one of your eyes next to the mouth!" He said, laughing again.

"Well... That wasn't what I had in mind and I hope I don't look like that in real life." I chuckled before adding. "Instead of laughing at me, would you mind putting my eye back at its place?"

"Done!" He answered and I thanked him.

"What are you making?" I asked as I tried to create hair with the rest of my clay.