Chapter Ten

"IMPY!!!!! IMPYYYYYY!!!" Two voices whined. Impulse, who was rudely woken up, groaned and pulled himself under his covers.

A huff. "IMPUUUUUULLLLSSSSE!!!"

The young Hufflepuff huffed back and groggily opened his eyes. He blinked a few times to force the blurriness to go away. "Whaaaaaat."

Tango and Zedaph plopped themselves on his bed. "C'mon, it's the first day of December!"

Impulse bolted up, gaining his friends' excited, overly-hyper energy.

The Hermits took the winter holidays very seriously. At home, they'd usually deck out the whole server and IRL house with decorations by December 2nd. Giant trees, Santa Ghasts (don't ask), Christmas outfits, you name it.

"MUMBO MUMBO MUMBO!!! IT'S THE START OF DECEMBER!!! GET UP GET UP GET UP GET UP!!!" Grian bounced on Mumbo's bed. The Ravenclaw yelped and accidentally rolled off the bed, almost bringing the Gryffindor gremlin down with him. Luckily his three roommates (one of which was Tango) were already out of bed and probably eating breakfast (or annoying their friends).

"WAKE UP, SLEEPY HEAD!!" Bdubs and Nebula nearly flipped over the couch Doc was on, causing Doc to yell as he fell off. After a minute of Bdubs and Nebs talking over each other (and the German trying to untangle himself from his blanket), Doc asked them to restart and "try actually making sense".

Before going to annoy Doc, the small Gryffindor (no matter what he tries to tell everyone, he is definitely shorter than the average 11-year-old by at least a few inches) had run into Nebula and told her his plan. She wanted in on the festivities (and in on pushing Doc off a couch), so she followed him back down into the dark Slytherin common room to be such a great friend.

As the Hermits walked towards the Great Hall, they all talked with the people with them. Mumbo and Grian ended up talking about spells: the difference between types of spells (Charms VS Transfiguration, Hexes VS Curses, ect), the ZIT trio ended up planning pranks with their limited magical knowledge ("Maybe we could float a bucket of water above someone's head and drop it on them!" "Pretty basic, but it'd still be hilarious to see the shock on someone's face."), and the trio of (a rather irritable) Doc, Nebula, and Bdubs, who didn't (or rather, couldn't) focus on any particular subject.

Scar, Xisuma, Iskall, and Ren waited for their friends to come in. Iskall had settled at the Hufflepuff table with his Hufflebuddy (... it's Ren. Ren is Iskall's Hufflebuddy), settling between him and Scar. Xisuma decided to try to get to know some other people, so he struck up a conversation with a Ravenclaw kid named Etho.

"-seriously though, it's so weird." Etho was saying before Tango came up from behind.

"Hey X! Who's this?"

The leader of the Hermits quickly introduced Etho Labs (yeah, I know, I'm lazy, come at me all you want), who was in their year.

Tango's expression formed a curious look. "You're one of the kids who was nearly a Hatstall, right?"

"'Hatstall'?" X asked curiously. The white-haired kid nodded and explained.

"Hatstalls are people who took five minutes or more to be Sorted. The Hat had trouble choosing Slytherin or Ravenclaw."

Tango chuckled. "I was either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. I'm guessing you already know how that turned out?" He held up his bronze and blue tie.

At the Hufflepuff table, the Gryffindor Hermits joined Iskall and sat with the crowd of yellow and black.