Chapter 2- Goodnight

As the train pulled into the capitol, all the tributes were rushed to the training center. It had been a long, eventful day, so all the tributes decided to get set up in their rooms. District 1 was already settled in, and so it was time to take off all of the makeup.
    "Well, that was embarrassing," Ximena remarked.
    "Yeah... At least you looked amazing," Haliey replied, grabbing Ximena's hand.
    "I looked so different! They were trying to make me something I am not," they said, brushing what makeup they could off with their loose hand. Haliey sighed.
    "Yeah, I get it," she told Ximena, giving them a quick kiss on the cheek. "I'm gonna go get some rest, love you." Haliey started to exit the room.
    "Love you too." Ximena washed off the rest of the makeup and looked at their reflection. "Who am I?"
They sighed and walked over to their bed, slipping off their pinchy high heels. They laid down and heaved a sigh of relief. "Peace and quiet, time to think." Ximena started to think back to the reaping and ponder on what the future would bring. They'd never wanted to be chosen for the games the same year as their girlfriend. It was pure torture, and they felt terrible. "I am never going to come out of the arena alive. My whole life is gone... I didn't even get to find out who I was or what my purpose was supposed to be. I guess my only purpose is to bring joy to the capitol as their little chess piece now. Whatever. I'm over it."

~~~~~~~~~~

    Rian dragged herself into the apartment tiredly. She glared at everyone  already inside with a contemptuous look that was practically saying you suck.
    "Why can't you all just throw us in the arena already? Why treat us with such politeness when we're all gonna die anyway?" Rian dropped her bag and walked right past them, slamming her door.
    "Such poor manners," remarked her mentor, sitting on a velvety seat.
Rian hopped onto her bed and stared at the ceiling. She had no hope, and with the thought of death, a single tear fell from her eye. She quickly brushed it away.
    "Why is this world so cruel...?" she said to herself, and with a sigh, she started to fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

    Alaya's eyes followed Maxtess as he ran around, gaping at the fancy chandeliers and all the gold.
    "You seem pretty happy for someone who is about to die to some angry animal." Alaya sat down and pulled her feet up onto a nearby table.
    "Hey, I'm not going to die - I intend on winning! Plus, I'll be fighting humans, not animals," he responded with a proud smile.
    "You are as stupid as you look..." Alaya rolled her eyes and leaned back in her chair.
    "I'm not stupid. I'm just a very simpleminded person," Max retorted.
    "You do know simpleminded means dumb, right?" She laughed at the boy, then stood up. "I'm hungry. Let's get some food."

~~~~~~~~~~~

    Q'uira sighed and walked into the apartment.
    "Feels like home to me." She jumped onto the couch and made herself comfortable. Jay walked over to the window and stared downward, trying to get a good view of the city below.
    "Yeah, I could get used to this." He smiled, then glanced over to Q'uira. She eventually met his gaze and smirked.
    "You should both get some sleep now; it's a busy day tomorrow!" their mentor exclaimed.
    "Oh, right." Jay got up and walked to the hallway, where Q'uira met up with him.
    "So... goodnight?" She asked with a small smile.
    "Goodnight..." Jay responded shyly, starting to blush. Q'uira leaned in to hug him, and Jay, who didn't see it coming, started to pull away. As he realized what she was doing, he went to lean in - but she'd pulled away, thinking he didn't want to be hugged. They resorted to an awkward fist bump instead.
Q'uira smiled, then walked into her room and shut the door. "Dang, messed up my shot..." Jay sighed, heading into his own room and pulling the door closed behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~

    Jean walked into the large room, dragging her stuff behind her. She sat down by the table and started digging into a plate of food that had conveniently been placed there beforehand. Reva, on the other hand, made a quiet entrance and sat down gently on the couch, placing her flower crown on a table beside her.
    "Ahem." Jean fake-coughed, looking at her with disgust.
    "What?" Reva asked, confused.
    "Don't just place your stuff anywhere. Put it in your room," Jean growled, getting up and pulling her bag over her shoulder. "I'm going to bed. I'm too tired to deal with this." With that, Jean was off into her room, slamming the heavy marbled door shut behind her.
    "She's... nice," Reva said thoughtfully, putting her flower crown back on her head. "Goodnight to you too!"

~~~~~~~~~~

    Paul sat anxiously on the couch, glancing over at Maliery.
    "Hey, sorry about... earlier," he said to the small girl (who was now reading a book about endangered animals).
    "What?" she asked, looking up at him.
    "...Nevermind." He shook off the comment and stood up to find his bags. Paul felt bad for the poor girl, but he knew pity was only going to make him lose. His job, when the games started, was to run from her so she didn't have to be killed by him. He looked over at the girl and frowned.
    "She is so young, she deserves so much more." He headed over to the long hallway leading to the rooms.
    "I am gonna get some sleep - see you in the morning. Goodnight." Paul reluctantly turned to the hallway and walked away.
    "Goodnight," Maliery said with a cheerful, high-pitched voice. Little did she know what was coming her way.